PDA

View Full Version : water hole

Jack Wood
07-06-2004, 8:16 AM
Well I see that there are some post here that have to do with back yard water features and thought that I'd throw my hat in to the ring. It measures 10'x13' and is 3' deep on one end down to 8" on the other. I had plans to dig it bigger, but the more I dug the smaller it got:D I have Comets(lg Goldfish) frogs and assorted insects that call it home. It sits just off the patio so we can sit and watch and listen to it. There is a wide assortment of water plants so that something is usually blooming during most of season. There are plans to add to with connecting "streams" but that's a retirement project:)

Jim Becker
07-06-2004, 5:58 PM
That's really beautiful, Jack. You really have a great environment for it, too. It looks like it's been there "forever", too! We haven't decided on the fish thing yet, but if we do, it will only be small goldfish as opposed to what you have due to the size of the pond.

Jack Wood
07-06-2004, 10:00 PM
Thanks Jim! Well believe it or not these guys started out as "feeder fish" from a pet store! Bought 12 of them for a quarter each and 5 years later there are 20-25 of them and some are over 6"s long:eek: I thought about Koi but too expensive and too big eventually. These are not suppose to get very much bigger. Goldfish are an excellant choice as they are tough and able to with stand very cold temps, all they need is some open space in the ice for air to circulate into the water and they make the winter just fine. Here's a picture of the pond just after I finished in '99.

Dennis Peacock
07-07-2004, 12:05 AM
Looks really good there Jack!!! A job well done.

Keep it up and you will show me more of my old stomping grounds! :p :D

David Klink
07-07-2004, 4:33 AM
That looks great Jack. See, another reason why I haven't put something like that in the back is the amazing shrinking hole principle. If I tried digging something like that, it would start out at 3' deep, then shrink to 3 inches deep within a couple of feet.:)

Tyler Howell
07-07-2004, 6:15 AM
Very nice Jack! Don't have to go far when you have paradise in your back yard!;)

Jack Wood
07-07-2004, 7:35 AM
Thanks guys!:D

Jack Wood
07-07-2004, 7:40 AM
Hey Dennis! You won't regognize Meridianville the next you come through. At Monroe and 231 they have leveled that hill and cleaned it way back down the road and they are going to put in another subdivision. Well there goes the little small town USA I moved here for:( But that's progress. :)

Dennis Peacock
07-07-2004, 10:43 AM
Hey Dennis! You won't regognize Meridianville the next you come through. At Monroe and 231 they have leveled that hill and cleaned it way back down the road and they are going to put in another subdivision. Well there goes the little small town USA I moved here for:( But that's progress. :)

Well Jack,

Maybe that'll boost your property value!!! I sure miss that part of the country!! :(