PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone recognize this table saw safety device?

Greg L. Brown
02-10-2009, 10:26 PM
I was poking around on this website: http://modernwoodshop.com/2008/06/18/flattening-wide-boards-with-a-planer-sled/

and noticed an interesting blade guard / quasi-riving knife system. It looked like a decent blade guard (with good dust collection). But most importantly, the distance from the blade to the splitter was quite small. Almost riving knife small.

I attached a picture of the unit. Does anyone know where I can buy this? Any recommendations on it? I have a Ridgid TS3650 that has a splitter and pawls, but I like this setup better.

Thanks,
Greg

Larry Fox
02-10-2009, 10:29 PM
Yeah - it is a SharkGuard. I installed one on my Unisaw last night. There are tons of threads here on them and they are very well made. Gotta be prepared to wait for it though - I waited about 4 months for mine. I had a Biesemeyer snap in splitter so the install took about 45-seconds.

Here is a link to his site.

http://www.leestyron.com/

John Thompson
02-10-2009, 10:31 PM
It's a "shark-guard" by Lee Styrone down in Mobile, Alabama. Take a look at the shark's eyes up front on the large-mouth shield. Dead give-aways. If you want one Google Sharkguard as I can't post the web-site here I believe.

Good luck and tell Lee Sarge said howdy ...

Sarge..

Prashun Patel
02-10-2009, 10:32 PM
it's not a riving knife, though.

John Thompson
02-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Sorry Larry.. as our posted over-lapped as we were typing and you're faster than me. :)

Sarge..

Ken Fitzgerald
02-10-2009, 10:43 PM
John....It's my understanding..you could (as someone else did) post the link here as long as YOU don't manufacture, work for or get reimbursed by the makers of SharkGuard. If you, in any way, received financial benefit from posting the link, then if you posted it...it would be considered advertising and would be unacceptable.

In this case, Greg asked a question and a link to the manufacturer is perfectly acceptable while meeting the above requirements.

And if my interpretation is incorrect....I'll hear about it in the Moderator's Forum.:D

Greg L. Brown
02-10-2009, 11:03 PM
Thanks for identifying the guard for me! Looks interesting.

-Greg

Dave Noftz
02-10-2009, 11:07 PM
All the replies are correct... it's a Shark Guard. I bought it about 3 years ago. I can't remember which version/vintage it is. I really like it; I never feel like it gets in my way and the dust collection is very good. The guard also came with a shorty splitter that I use occasionally for odd cuts.

Regards,
Dave

Alan Schwabacher
02-10-2009, 11:11 PM
And for those saws with the correct mounting, shark guards are riving knives. On other saws they are splitters.

John Thompson
02-11-2009, 10:43 AM
John....It's my understanding..you could (as someone else did) post the link here as long as YOU don't manufacture, work for or get reimbursed by the makers of SharkGuard. If you, in any way, received financial benefit from posting the link, then if you posted it...it would be considered advertising and would be unacceptable.

In this case, Greg asked a question and a link to the manufacturer is perfectly acceptable while meeting the above requirements.

And if my interpretation is incorrect....I'll hear about it in the Moderator's Forum.:D

Thanks Ken as I was not sure of that. I had seen some post them but had the impression that web links were forboden in general. Your interpretation would make more sense than my assumtion as clicking on a web-site is quicker than doing a Google search.

Thanks again as I had mis-interpreted the rules and regulations.

Sarge..

Prashun Patel
02-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Darn! Just impulse bought one of these bad boys with Mega mouth and pawls.

Larry Fox
02-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Darn! Just impulse bought one of these bad boys with Mega mouth and pawls.

You will not be disappointed - but you will wait. I have only run a test cut or so with mine that I received the other night but I can already tell it is going to make a world of difference.

Prashun Patel
02-11-2009, 1:49 PM
You will not be disappointed - but you will wait. I have only run a test cut or so with mine that I received the other night but I can already tell it is going to make a world of difference.

How do you guys push narrower stock through with the blade guard on? Skinny push stick? Push block that straddles the fence?

Sue Wise
02-11-2009, 1:56 PM
For small narrow pieces, I take the guard off and use my gripper. For longer narrow, I just take the blade guard off and use a narrow push stick.

-Sue

Prashun Patel
02-11-2009, 2:21 PM
i have a GRRIPPer too. My big beef with it is that you have to have the blade cover off AND you can't use it with a featherboard. The more i use it, the more nervous I become.

I'm not knocking the GRRIPPER, but my 1st rule of tsaw safety is: if it doesn't feel 100% right, it's probably not safe.

I'd like to use my guard more with a featherboard and hold downs. Of course, with all that gear in place, pushing becomes an issue. I'm sure someone's thought of a better solution to them longnskinny push sticks.

- shawn

Chris Padilla
02-11-2009, 2:38 PM
Thanks Ken as I was not sure of that. I had seen some post them but had the impression that web links were forboden in general. Your interpretation would make more sense than my assumtion as clicking on a web-site is quicker than doing a Google search.

Thanks again as I had mis-interpreted the rules and regulations.

Sarge..

Most links are fine to post assuming they are germane to the topic.

We don't allow eBay links or direct commercial links. Basically, if you are posting a link in order to draw folks to the linked site so you can make money, that is a big no-no. Folks always try to find clever ways to circumvent this.

For example, when there is a therad about splitter/riving knives...I will usually link to Microjig's site. I don't receive a dime from this although I'm sure the proprietor there appreciates it. The folks working at Microjig, however, shouldn't post a link...typical conflict of interest. We don't want folks getting direct free advertisment is what it all boils down to.