PDA

View Full Version : Cherry from Rockler on sale????

Chris Konikowski
02-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Being new at this, I cannot tell if this is something that I should just on or not. The anniversary sale at Rockler has Cherry at $2.99 a sqft. They told me that this is 3/4" thick Cherry. Is that a good deal, or is it just an OK deal or a marketing way of overcharging. The local hardwood dealer to me has milled Cherry S4S 1X8 (3/4"x5-1/2") at $5.02 per linear foot 1x6 at $3.89.

They have rough lumber at 4/4" cherry at 4.82 per board ft.

Notice the bold words. These are what are throwing me for a loop.....I read what board foot is and linear foot. It looks like sqft would be board foot or linear foot?

Hoping someone has already bought some and can better explain exactly what I would be getting...:confused:

Brian Kent
02-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Hi Chris.

A board foot is one square foot of 4/4 lumber. 4/4 is 1 inch thick (four fouths of an inch|) before processing - usually 3/4" after the finishing process. So in the case of 3/4" smooth planed lumber, a square foot is the same as a board foot.

Out here 2.97 per board foot is a darn good price for cherry!

Chris Konikowski
02-11-2009, 9:54 AM
So this is something I should stock up a little on?

Bill White
02-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Yep. That'sa good price (Italian for yes).
Bill

Craig D Peltier
02-11-2009, 10:51 AM
My opinion is , yes its a good price.

a) If you can get it, locally it was gone in 3 hours with a line down the entire store.Thye said they were getting another pallet.
b) it is already milled to 3/4. I would be hesitant to buy more than I needed due to chance of bowing /warping before I could use it. Id rather have 4/4 and being able to mill it when needed and get it straight and still have 3/4.

Chris Konikowski
02-11-2009, 11:05 AM
My opinion is , yes its a good price.

a) If you can get it, locally it was gone in 3 hours with a line down the entire store.Thye said they were getting another pallet.
b) it is already milled to 3/4. I would be hesitant to buy more than I needed due to chance of bowing /warping before I could use it. Id rather have 4/4 and being able to mill it when needed and get it straight and still have 3/4.

Yup. They say they are getting another pallet and I have some reserved if it does come in. I am getting 75 sqft. That should be nough for a few projects... How can I keep it from bowing?

Craig D Peltier
02-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Yup. They say they are getting another pallet and I have some reserved if it does come in. I am getting 75 sqft. That should be nough for a few projects... How can I keep it from bowing?
It may or may not. Try to keep in dry place, not humid. Its the changes in the weather that makes wood move and do weird things. You can always put weight on it but thisnt isnt my expertise.Maybe others will chime in on that part.

Chris Konikowski
02-11-2009, 1:20 PM
If it is the change in humidity, I should be fine. This is Houston. We are humid as hell 364 days a year....:D

J.R. Rutter
02-12-2009, 10:14 AM
What grade is it? I'm west coast (typically high cost) buying 90/90 #1C locally for less than $2.50. Lumber prices are falling everywhere.