PDA

View Full Version : Can ipe be glued

Frederick Harvie
02-10-2009, 8:01 PM
Has anyone successfully glued kiln dried ipe. If so what glue was used and how has the joint stood up long term.

Jamie Buxton
02-10-2009, 8:54 PM
I've glued it, to make door thresholds. They have been rained on, and walked on, for four or five years now, with no sign of degradation. IIRC, I used Titebond III.

I've read that ipe is marketing name which covers a half-dozen species which grow in various places around the world. It might be that those various species have different gluing characteristics. Dunno. All I can tell you is that my joints are holding.

Scott Schwake
02-11-2009, 5:37 PM
I believe FWW tested different types of glues on different types of wood a while back, I remember Ipe being one of them, may want to search there.

Jim King
02-11-2009, 5:52 PM
I have found that Ipe is no harder to glue than any other wood if it is kiln dried. I think the problem for most people is that Ipe or Tahuari as it is called here in the Amazon is normally shipped out as decking and is not dry.
Here is a photo of a vase glued up with Remo Caspi and no problems. Also attached is a photo of an Ipe tree.

Ipe glued up vase
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=41867

guy knight
02-11-2009, 9:50 PM
Titebond III works good