PDA

View Full Version : another urn finished

Kent Parker
02-10-2009, 7:37 PM
Ya'll

I had the honor of making an urn for a family member that recently passed. It's always challenging to begin a project like this due to the emotional forces that are so prevalent. Definitely gets in the way of the design process. This one is inspired by P. Weber.
I generally do a mockup first with 1/4 foam board to get the general dimensions and in this case to make sure the internal volume was adequate. Even after numerous volumn calculations, I was still sweating when they placed her ashes in the box for fear the box would be too small (it wasn't).

Here's a few photos during construction, finish in the "dry" stage and then after oil and wax finish. (three coats of oil, soaked in and then rubbed and wet sanded, then a coat of Renaissance wax.

The primary wood is Wenge (thanks Mark S.) the top is partially Pink Ivory and the stone is a tumbled piece of Rose Quartz. Pink Ivory is reported to be one of the rarest woods in the world, the price reflects that.

If you look closely in the second photo you can see that the sides are made up of two thin pieces. I resawed or "split" planks to be able to have the outside and the insides book matched (mirrored grain). I cut a piece of thin clear plexiglass the shape of the sides and moved it around the raw plank until I got the grain pattern for the urn I wanted. Top and bottom are made of multiple thin planks, glued to the curve on a mold. Additionall, thin plastic was used during the top glue up so I could monitor the joints in the pink ivory. There are no metal fastenings in this box. The lid is a press fit.

Lien is Vietnamese, and was a simply elegant women, hence the design.

I about died during the service when the priest threw Holy Water on it, but that's another story.

Hope your well,

KP

Kent Parker
02-10-2009, 7:40 PM
And a few more to finish it off.

Kent

Life is eternal, and love is immortal,
and death is only a horizon;
and a horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

David Christopher
02-10-2009, 8:01 PM
Kent, that is great craftsmanship..the urn is beautiful

Bruce Page
02-10-2009, 8:58 PM
Beautiful work Kent.

Jim Becker
02-10-2009, 9:02 PM
Outstanding, Kent!

Dewey Torres
02-11-2009, 2:53 AM
Kent,
In all my time on SMC you are the first that I can recall to use pink ivory. I have a small piece that I have no idea what I am going to so with so I may very well take it to the grave with me as well!

Great work!

Who is your reference for the design...website???

Craig T. Smith
02-11-2009, 5:09 AM
Very beautiful. Nice tribute. Thanks for sharing, Craig

Tom Sontag
02-11-2009, 9:38 PM
A box or urn like this is all about details and fine craftsmanship. It should be the kind of thing someone can pick up and turn over in their hand (when empty!) and appreciate each nuance. There are no unfinished parts.

This piece exemplifies that kind of work. You nailed it. Nicely done.

Pink ivory, like all wood, changes color over time. I *think* (not sure) that a UV retardant finish slows the fade.