PDA

View Full Version : Want to check your laser's energy draw?

Dan Hintz
02-10-2009, 7:32 PM
It wasn't a priority until I came across this deal, but I've often considered buying one of those Kill-A-Watt energy meters. Here's one for $30, free shipping (select budget shipping):
http://www.buy.com/prod/p3-international-p4460-kill-a-watt-ez-electricity-usage-monitor/q/loc/111/204392275.html

Just ordered mine :)

The model is the P4460... most places selling cheaper are selling the P4400. And no, I have no idea what the difference is between the two.

Dave Johnson29
02-10-2009, 7:41 PM
Kill-A-Watt energy meters.

...or for 10-bucks...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96308

and multiply by voltage. :):)

e.g.
3A x 110V = 330 Watts

Of course not quite as convenient as you need to clamp around a single wire not the entire cable.

Frank Corker
02-10-2009, 9:00 PM
Dan I had a go of one of those just recently. Put all you charges in and it tells you how much it's costing to use the laser. Having done that I now refuse to tell them how much electricity it is using, suffice to say that my 36" television (CRT not Plasma) uses an awful lot more than the laser, even when I add the extractor and the air assist! On the brighter side, I can now blame the wife for using too much electric!

George Brown
02-10-2009, 11:11 PM
On the brighter side, I can now blame the wife for using too much electric!

That's always the best part!! :D

Dan Hintz
02-11-2009, 7:59 AM
Added model #

Marc Myer
02-11-2009, 12:07 PM
I just bought one a few weeks ago, thanks to your earlier mention.
I got the P4400, and it does the job nicely.

Our lasers are not too electricity-hungry, I'm pleased to say.
I even checked my refrigerator, and it's not as bad as I had thought. Still have to nail down why my electric bill is nearly $300 for an 800 sq. ft. house with no A/C or heat! Oh, that's right. Our power company can charge whatever they want, and do :)

Dan Hintz
02-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Marc, what does your laser pull at full power? The tubes are only 5-10% efficient, but the stepper motors shouldn't pull a ton of energy, either...

Michael Kowalczyk
02-11-2009, 2:37 PM
...or for 10-bucks...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96308

and multiply by voltage. :):)

e.g.
3A x 110V = 330 Watts

Of course not quite as convenient as you need to clamp around a single wire not the entire cable.

Dave,
Harbor Freight has the plug in usage monitor also for $20.00+-. I thought about it while I cruised the aisles but said to self, "Self, wait til next time" so I very disaplined.

So for those of you that do have a monitor how does your laser compare to the fridge in actual #'s?

Pete Simmons
02-11-2009, 3:01 PM
Marc - How many KWh is that $300 electric bill?

I am doing an energy presentation and could use the info.

Here in Florida I pay $0.125 per KWh

I think average nation wide runs about $0.10

Michael Kowalczyk
02-11-2009, 3:32 PM
Hey Pete,
How are you doing? Is that with or without tax, fuel surcharge and base rate? My residential is 0.158 per KWH now. Last year it was only 0.13. They said the increase was to help with the grid. I guess the hurricanes cost them a lot when they leave their lines on utility poles instead of underground. I will find out what our business KWH is and see how much cheaper it is later.

Pete Simmons
02-11-2009, 3:41 PM
Michael:

The 12.5 is total. I just divided the full bill amount by the KWh.

Of course in the detailed bill there are lots of small charges, taxes and fine print that adds up quickly.

Michael Kowalczyk
02-11-2009, 3:55 PM
Ours is 0.1276275 per KWH which is probably high, by whatever the national average is, considering its coded under a manufacturing rate.

James Rambo
02-11-2009, 7:16 PM
On this side of florida we pay $0.060210 (first 1000 kwh used) and $0.070210 (over 1000 kwh) for fuel costs. Then they add non-fuel costs of $0.041340 (first 1000 kwh used)and $0.051660 (over 1000 kwh used). And then they add $5.34 (customer charge), and $1.65 (storm charge, and $4.30 (gross receipts tax), and $9.68 (franchise charge).

John W. Love
02-13-2009, 1:49 AM
Hey Mike, Those of us in Texas kinda get the shaft on electricity since the deregulation a few years ago. I remember reading an article in the Austin paper a few months back about how our rates have gone up something like 35% over the national average increase since the deregulation occured. And wasn't it the legislators that told us that deregulation was a good thing and our rates would go down? HAHAHA

Our rates in Austin area are lower than they were when we were in Houston, but I think the electric companies there can tack on a lil extra for unexpected emergency funds for when there are tropical storms or Hurricanes which cause them an increase in expenses for repairs and of course the loss of income which occurs when the area is without electricity. Also, I believe Austin doesn't participate in the South Texas Nuclear Project (STNP) anymore, or at least not as much, as that was costing the city a ton of money for very little return.

Marc Myer
02-13-2009, 1:17 PM
OK, I just checked my latest bill. We're currently paying about $ .22/kwh here. I believe it's down from last fall.
It's much worse on the Big Island.

I can't access power draw records for my laser at the moment; will post later!

Oh, but we have the added benefit of regular power outages--two since Christmas--one for 8 hours, one for 23. Gotta love living in paradise.

Dan Hintz
02-13-2009, 2:38 PM
Mine should be delivered by next week (it has supposedly shipped), so I'll be bale to provide power draw for a machine using a 70W cartridge. I'll try to split it up in terms of idle machine, laser 100%, and moving motors.

I cannot remember if I posted this in another thread, but for those with a Circuit City in your neck of the woods, you should check them out. I picked up a 750VA UPS from APC for $70 (sells for $90+ on the net). They sell 1300VA systems, but I couldn't find one on the shelves. They also had a small load of 500VA and 350VA backups.

David H. Mitchell
02-13-2009, 3:16 PM
We are lucky we have some of the best rates in the country. With fuel adjustment it runs about .053/kwh residential. Commercial is somewhat less.

Dave

Bill Cunningham
02-14-2009, 9:33 PM
If I take my total including all the 'extra' stuff they tack on, we pay .11 kwh in my town.. .22 cents per kwh on Oahu is probably because you don't need heat in the winter.. You can live without air condx. but try to get by without heat in Canada and the N. States.. My hydro bill in the dead of winter month January, runs about $180.00 (yearly average is abt.120.00) and that is the house and shop We heat with gas and the biggest air source heat pump Carrier makes..

George Brown
02-16-2009, 11:59 AM
If I take my total including all the 'extra' stuff they tack on, we pay .11 kwh in my town.. .22 cents per kwh on Oahu is probably because you don't need heat in the winter.. You can live without air condx. but try to get by without heat in Canada and the N. States.. My hydro bill in the dead of winter month January, runs about $180.00 (yearly average is abt.120.00) and that is the house and shop We heat with gas and the biggest air source heat pump Carrier makes..
I did'nt think you could use a heat pump when the air temp goes down that cold?

George

George Brown
02-16-2009, 12:02 PM
We are lucky we have some of the best rates in the country. With fuel adjustment it runs about .053/kwh residential. Commercial is somewhat less.

Dave
Mind if I plug in my LONG extension cord! We are paying around .14/kwh.

Allan Wright
02-16-2009, 1:28 PM
To heck with the laser, put the meter on your blower! I'm sure my ventilation system uses more energy than the laser.

John W. Love
02-16-2009, 3:19 PM
You can live without air condx. but try to get by without heat in Canada and the N. States..

I beg to differ lol...living in Texas it gets really hot in the summer sometimes around 110 - 115 (yes that is the extreme end of the scale but still it happens). When it's that hot, we see elderly and poor who can't afford to use their air conditioning dying of heat exhaustion. Here we could live without the heat probably although it would be uncomfortable...but in the summer you HAVE to have a/c!

Bill Cunningham
02-17-2009, 8:42 PM
I didn't think you could use a heat pump when the air temp goes down that cold?

George

My heat pump pumps 'some' heat at just about any temp..When it's 'real' cold, The built on computer/thermostat decides how how efficient the HP is, and if it won't handle the job, it kicks in a 3 stage gas furnace and decides how much of each is cost efficient .. This HP is BIG, and rated at 9.5 hspf for heat, and 19 seer for cooling..

I beg to differ lol...living in Texas it gets really hot in the summer sometimes around 110 - 115 (yes that is the extreme end of the scale but still it happens). When it's that hot, we see elderly and poor who can't afford to use their air conditioning dying of heat exhaustion. Here we could live without the heat probably although it would be uncomfortable...but in the summer you HAVE to have a/c!Yup your right, but I'm sure your grandparents who may have lived through times when there was no such thing, 'might' have a different outlook about that. It's what ever you don't think you can live with out, (and unfortunatly, many can't) Most folks in the U.S. don't believe we often hit those temperatures here as well.. There are plenty of places in the lower 48 States that are actually further north than I am in my part of Canada. But here, as well as many of the northern states, for some folks If you can't at least curl up on a city subway grate on a January night, yer dead!.. It's tragic, but during big heat waves large companies will open their doors to allow the unfortunate to get some relief from the heat. But those same companies kick out the unfortunate even on days that have a extreme cold warning.. It's a balmy -2 C here right now..

Dan Hintz
02-20-2009, 4:30 PM
I just checked our rates here... $0.1182/kWh. It was about 2 cents cheaper last year.

I made a quick attempt at using the power meter, but I didn't realize it doesn't have an ampmeter, so I have to run something for a while and average it :( The whole point of getting the meter was to figure out my amperage draw with zero math.

At least I now know the voltage here is a steady 121.8V.

Bob Cole
02-21-2009, 1:14 PM
I looked at my last bill and I am paying .0521 per Kwh (this is without fees which run about $20 per month). I am part of a co-op which owns the power company. I get small annual rebate checks every year.

We had an issue where a previous executive sold off power to neighboring states that actually caused our local rates to go up.

Anthony Scira
02-21-2009, 6:30 PM
I don't know if I would build a house above ground in 115 degree heat.

I think everyone should live under ground and have light come in via solar tubes.

That would keep you safe from tornadoes too !

Dan Hintz
02-21-2009, 7:11 PM
I think everyone should live under ground and have light come in via solar tubes.

That would keep you safe from tornadoes too !
But it would be a real bitch if you lived in a locale that was below the water table (e.g., New Orleans)!

Anyone have gills?