PDA

View Full Version : Single Phase to 3phase converter

Matthew Goebel
02-10-2009, 7:02 PM
Which type of converters would be the best. I would be possibly running a 7.5 hp table saw,7.5 hp radial arm saw, compressor, DC, maybe a band saw. Dad and I have looked at both rotary converters and the static converters. which would be the best way to go about this?

David Christopher
02-10-2009, 7:05 PM
the rotary converters are the best ( you can tell by the price ) with the static converters you only can use about 2/3s of rated HP

Matthew Goebel
02-10-2009, 7:08 PM
I should also ask how many of them could be run on a rotary converter at the same time? because the DC would be running and other tools maybe a Table saw and Compressor?

David Christopher
02-10-2009, 7:13 PM
its acording to what size converter that you get

David Freed
02-10-2009, 7:47 PM
I agree that rotary is the way to go. I bought a 20 hp converter from here - http://www.americanrotary.com/. Their website will help you decide what size you need.

Scott T Smith
02-11-2009, 12:36 AM
In my last shop, rather than slaving the converters to a single piece of equipment I was advised to use them to power a 3-phase load center, and then to wire all of my 3-phase equipment to that panel.

Clean, easy, and permanent. Additionally, you can add additional converters to the load center if you need additional power.

Chip Lindley
02-12-2009, 12:55 AM
RPC is the way to go! I have used a 5hp ARCO Roto-Phase Type A for years. The factory manual states that up to THREE 5hp machines can be run from the RPC *if* they are started one at a time! Since I only use one 3ph machine up to 5hp, and a 3hp DC, I am well within limits! Check the Arco website for lots of pertinent info.
http://www.arco-electric.com/

A usual advantage of commercial 3ph is that smaller gauge wiring can be run. NOT So with a RPC! ARCO says to wire the machines as if single-phase. The tradeoff is well worth it to me! What I've spent on heavy gauge shop wiring has been well offset by bargain 3ph machinery!!

Kevin Looker
02-17-2009, 6:46 AM
I have NEVER heard anything good about static phase convertors.

Go rotary if you can afford it.

David G Baker
02-17-2009, 9:37 AM
My Father was a lifetime machinist. He had a heavy duty lathe and mill at home that had 3 phase motors. He installed static phase converters in each of the tools. I never heard him complain about them. My brother inherited both tools and used them frequently, he never complained either. From my research, rotary is the best way to go if you can afford it, if not the next best option is a VFD and then comes the static converter.