PDA

View Full Version : painting pine panels

Jerome Hanby
02-10-2009, 2:38 PM
I've got some 16" wide laminated pine panels from Lowes (had$10 off $25 or more purchase coupons and these panels hit the sweet spot:D). I've been asked to build a toy box and figured this would be a good excuse to build something with dovetails. Only real request is the color. Iron Man colors (gold and hot rod red). Was looking for some guidance on the best way to get a hard shiny paint job on the finished (no pun intended) product. Be nice if it was tough as well.

Thanks in advance.

Ken Higginbotham
02-10-2009, 2:47 PM
You're going to do some dovetails and then paint over them? :eek:

Lee Schierer
02-10-2009, 4:03 PM
Pine should be coated with shellac before painting. If there are any knots, even small ones, they will bleed through most paints over time and you wil see the knot in the finish color. Make sure your finish color can be put over a shellac undercoat. If your pine is clear (no knots at all) then the shellac coating may not be required.

Your first coat (shellac or paint) will turn out rougher than 220 grit sandpaper, so it will need sanded smooth before the second coat is applied.

Joe Chritz
02-10-2009, 11:19 PM
I'm with Ken.

Anyway, use shellac or BIN primer (which is shellac based) before any color coat. An acrylic paint like SW pro-classic is a good choice for top coat.

Joe

David Christopher
02-10-2009, 11:28 PM
If you want it hard and really shiny you can use automotive sandable primer, sand and then coat with laquer fine sand and buff

Jerome Hanby
02-11-2009, 5:55 PM
You're going to do some dovetails and then paint over them? :eek:

I just want to try out my Stots jig:D. This is the excuse!

Jeff Monson
02-11-2009, 9:10 PM
I'll 2nd Dave, I have made painted pine stuff for kids, I usually seal it, then paint and then a couple coats of laquer and its very durable.

Jerome Hanby
02-12-2009, 8:56 AM
I'll 2nd Dave, I have made painted pine stuff for kids, I usually seal it, then paint and then a couple coats of laquer and its very durable.

So something like Sealcoat, then my paint. What kind of Lacquer? Guess I watch Norm too much. my knee jerk reaction is to top everything with several coats of poly (one reason my wife hates it when I make lasagna).

Ken Higginbotham
02-12-2009, 12:08 PM
So something like Sealcoat, then my paint. What kind of Lacquer? Guess I watch Norm too much. my knee jerk reaction is to top everything with several coats of poly (one reason my wife hates it when I make lasagna).

(Note to self: Stay away from Alabama lasagna)