PDA

View Full Version : Antique Hardware

Steven McLeavin
02-10-2009, 1:59 PM
The antique store I work for has a large collection of very nice architectural and antique hardware that they've salvaged over the years. They have it "displayed" in a dark corner in crates, and some hanging on the wall. I don't think we have sold any of it in the 6 months its been on display. This is really good quality hardware. We have door knobs, locks, escutcheons, hinges, handles, etc... My question is...do you think there is a market for this stuff? I'm going to attempt to put it online, but i don't know who to market this to..Thanks for any help

Randal Stevenson
02-11-2009, 1:22 AM
Considering there are stores, such as restoration hardware and such, I would think the want is there. However, with building slowing as part of the economy, it will be slow for a while.

I've been looking for years, for replacement door hinges. They are half a butterfly hinge, and half a regular hinge, and my neighborhood was built between 1921-1929.

Gene Howe
02-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Considering there are stores, such as restoration hardware and such, I would think the want is there. However, with building slowing as part of the economy, it will be slow for a while.

OTOH, restoration may be a viable alternative to new construction.
Maybe search "list groups" and forums whose interests include restoration. If the group/forum allows, direct them to your web site.

Steven McLeavin
02-11-2009, 1:20 PM
good idea, thanks!

Neal Clayton
02-11-2009, 5:36 PM
a couple of forums i frequent that would have people interested...

http://www.oldhouseweb.com
http://www.historichomeworks.com

oldhouseweb has a vendor classified type section, they might add you to help you get the word out.

Steven McLeavin
02-11-2009, 9:50 PM
wow, thanks Neal!

Mike Cutler
02-12-2009, 9:08 AM
Steven

The answer is yes, there are people interested in authentic period hardware.

New hardware of any quality is pretty expensive. For example, I know of only one place to source newly made, quality, craftsman style hardware and believe me, it isn't cheap.

Your real task though will be to correctly identify the pieces, and categorize them correctly by style and manufacture, and list them accordingly.

I have a pretty good collection, meant for actual use, of vintage hardware. Most came from eBay, or a search that started on eBay and expanded. Style 1900 magazine is another source for vintage suppliers, they are listed in the classifieds.

If you can get the hardware listed on the net in a searchable manner, or even a website, you'll be well on your way.
I'd also like a PM when you get things up and running, just to see what you have.

Neal Clayton
02-12-2009, 10:36 AM
i know of the same place mike, since i've got a 1908 craftsman style house. i shudder to think how much i've spent there, especially on those custom sized steel air registers and grates.