PDA

View Full Version : Belt/Disc sander usage

Joe Jensen
02-10-2009, 11:24 AM
I have a good quality Belt/Disc sander, 6 by 48 with a 12" disc. I use the disc a lot for random home repair, trimming jigs, etc, but really never for any furniture projects. I haven't even had a belt on the machine for like 10 years. The belt always seemed too small to be really usefull, and also to aggressive for finesse.

I've been considering selling it to make some room in the shop.

What are folks doing with theirs and am I missing some valuable usage?

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w99/AZEngineer/Dayton%20Sander/_NIK3582.jpg

Doug Shepard
02-10-2009, 11:46 AM
I've got a Delta unit with the same belt/disc sizes and also dont use the belt near as much as the disc (which gets quite a bit of use). I tend to keep a fairly fine grit (120 or 150) on the belt and use it for things where the disc would be sanding against the grain. It's probably my Go-To method for sanding corner splines on boxes flush after trimming them close on the bandsaw.

Brent Leonard
02-10-2009, 12:16 PM
I have a shopsmith Mark V that is used only for a drilling and sanding. I have the 6" belt sander and 12" disk with the SS.

The belt sander is good for small boxes, thats about it other than an occasional short edge. The disk, I use much more. I like the SS disk sander because you have the versatility of the table with a fence and miter gauge. Plus the quill pushes the disk forward like a drill press. I can perfectly match lengths with it, match and fine tune miter cuts, etc...

I'm sure, if I ever sold the beltsander, I would need it the next day!