PDA

View Full Version : Need advice and opinoins, Delta RC-33

Chris Kehl
02-10-2009, 9:46 AM
Guys, found and RC-33 for sale for $400, is that a good price assuming it works well and has no problems? Any opinions on it's performance? Unfortunately that's about all my budget will allow, and I thought it would be a lot better than a "lunch box" model in that price range. Thoughts?

Jim Shockey
02-10-2009, 9:54 AM
Guys, found and RC-33 for sale for $400, is that a good price assuming it works well and has no problems? Any opinions on it's performance? Unfortunately that's about all my budget will allow, and I thought it would be a lot better than a "lunch box" model in that price range. Thoughts?

I paid $500 for mine and would do it again tomorrow if I needed another one, I don't use it a lot but when I do it has worked perfect with out any problems.

Alex Shanku
02-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Make sure the gearbox is in good shape. I do not know if delta is still supporting this planer (specifically the gears).

Alan Schaffter
02-10-2009, 11:23 AM
You might want to check with Bob Vaughan (I think he visits here sometimes or maybe WoodNet). He refurbs old iron and tunes up machines. He has two great videos on the net on setting up a planer and setting knives on a jointer and planer. I believe the planer he uses for the demonstration in his video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-986589700074242027&q=bob+vaughn&hl=en) is or is similar to an RC33.

As to price, depends on age and condition and luck. I got a super mid 80's RC51 20" Delta beast for only $600. It is a great machine!

Chip Lindley
02-10-2009, 1:51 PM
I still use the Rockwell/Invicta RC33 I bought *Newsed* in 1985. Its built like a TANK and I have never had a problem with it. The ONLY downside of this planer is the lack of jack screws in the cutterhead for resetting knives. It relies on springs under the knives, while being depressed with a knife setting gauge.

The 13" width has never hindered me, and the *real* 12amp, 230v, 2hp motor drags anything through the machine I have been able to shove in it!

For $400, you won't be sorry!! compared to the *lunchbox planers* at roughly the same price!

Chris Kehl
02-10-2009, 2:53 PM
Thanks for thoughts guys, sounds like I need to gather up my cash, and hope it isn't sold yet. I'll let you know if I'm able to get there in time. :)

Bruce Wrenn
02-10-2009, 9:59 PM
The DC- 33 morfed into the DC- 380. Others brought out a 15" planer, so Delta jumped on the band wagon. I think the DC-33 was made in Brazil, as were with the early 380's. The DC-33 replaced a Rockwell / Delta 13" planer that weighed over a half ton. I have both the DC380 and the Rockwell 13" It's a long story, but both were too good of a deal to pass up, especially with the Rockwell being FREE. It's amazing what a machine will do when you repair a broken control wire- it RUNS!