PDA

View Full Version : Period Woodworking - in Denver

John Dykes
02-10-2009, 9:17 AM
There is a living history museum not far from my house here in Denver (http://www.littletongov.org/museum/ - "Located on 39 acres, the museum consists of two living history farms (one from the 1860’s and one from the 1890’s), a small lake, a collections center, and a main exhibition and administration building."). It's a mini-Colonial Williamsburg. It focuses in on period life here in Denver during the 1860's and 1890's. I've been thinking about perhaps volunteering as a interpretive woodworker... (Though I've not posed the question to them, and not even sure they have such a need.)

I'd like to be true to the tools and methods for those two (different) time periods. Any thoughts on how to approach and understand what things looked like here in Denver during that time?

I'm reasonably comfortable with a modern handtools only approach, but not necessarily with a period approach...

mike holden
02-10-2009, 11:01 AM
John,
Contact Stephen Shepherd at fullchisel dot com. Stephen is/was an interpreter in Utah and has written a number of magazine articles. Despite that, he is quite a friendly person and I am sure would start you down the right path with what you need to know.
Mike

John Dykes
02-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Bingo!

Thanks Mike! Given his location, I'm not sure I could have hoped for a better push in the right direction.

Robert Rozaieski
02-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Yes, definately talk to Stephen. His chosen period (at least at the living history museum he used to work at) was earlier in the 19th century than what you are referring to but he will definately be a great resource to you. Being later in the 1800's could be a benefit to you as by that time, metal planes were coming into use so you may have an easier time reproducing a period inventory from real vintage tools rather than reproductions.

Many of the early Stanley planes and Disston saws were from the late 1860's through the 1890's. Look for the earlier types in stanley planes (types 1-6) if you want to be period correct but even some later ones would still pass for period even if they weren't manufactured by that time.

Disston started manufacturing in 1840 so most early type Disstons would be proper for the period. Look for early #7s, #12s and #16s with nice shapely handles (later saws had handles that weren't as nice after they stopped working them by hand). Early D8s would be appropriate to the period as well but according to literature these were more designed for and used by carpenters so may not have been seen as often in a cabinet shop.

Patrick Leach's site might be a valuable rsource for you to determine if a particular plane (not just bench planes) was available during the period you are working in.

Good luck to you! I'd love to find the time to do something like that. Perhaps when my kids get older.

John Keeton
02-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Long hair and a beard for starters;) John, I am concerned that this may just be a ruse to feed your addiction for handtools....

Actually, I think it would be a great situation, you're disposition is well suited, you have the knowledge, interest and excitement level, and you have the ability to explain matters in a logical and progressive fashion. I hope it works out for you! Keep us posted.

James Owen
02-10-2009, 2:21 PM
John,
Contact Stephen Shepherd at fullchisel dot com. Stephen is/was an interpreter in Utah and has written a number of magazine articles. Despite that, he is quite a friendly person and I am sure would start you down the right path with what you need to know.
Mike

John,

He has also written a really nicely researched book called Shepherd's Compleat Early Nineteenth Century Woodworker, that is packed with information on vintage tools and woodworking techniques from this period. Reading through it would provide you with a lot of good background information.

Joe Cunningham
02-10-2009, 3:11 PM
Many of the early Stanley planes and Disston saws were from the late 1860's through the 1890's. Look for the earlier types in stanley planes (types 1-6) if you want to be period correct but even some later ones would still pass for period even if they weren't manufactured by that time.

I was thinking they might be rather spartan in 1860, and probably relied on riving for furniture (since the railroads hadn't arrived yet to bring saws and such), but it sounds like Denver was pretty posh compared to most of Colorado.

I did a search on 'denver furniture 1860' at Google books and found a pretty good reference, The Standard of Living in 1860:
"In 1859 a sawmill was built about thirty miles south of Denver...Even in 1860 most of the 4000 inhabitants of Colorado were living in tents or in booths of pine boughs, and there was neither table nor chair in the diggings. But in Denver the old log cabins were being boarded up with siding or displaced altogether by neat frame structures with board floors, glass windows, and shingle roofs."

I do wonder if Disston saws made it out in that period, but obviously *some* saws were there, even if locally made.

Robert Rozaieski
02-10-2009, 3:23 PM
I was thinking they might be rather spartan in 1860, and probably relied on riving for furniture (since the railroads hadn't arrived yet to bring saws and such), but it sounds like Denver was pretty posh compared to most of Colorado.

I did a search on 'denver furniture 1860' at Google books and found a pretty good reference, The Standard of Living in 1860:
"In 1859 a sawmill was built about thirty miles south of Denver...Even in 1860 most of the 4000 inhabitants of Colorado were living in tents or in booths of pine boughs, and there was neither table nor chair in the diggings. But in Denver the old log cabins were being boarded up with siding or displaced altogether by neat frame structures with board floors, glass windows, and shingle roofs."

I do wonder if Disston saws made it out in that period, but obviously *some* saws were there, even if locally made.

Joe,
The expansion westward started from the east so many of the eastern wares were simply brought along for the ride if there was room. Even earlier in the 1800s, tools and other necessities could be "imported from the States" (as our friend Mr. Shepherd puts it) or imported from England. I'm sure there were some local tool builders as well but I think a lot was imported.

Clay Thigpen
02-10-2009, 10:48 PM
John,

He has also written a really nicely researched book called Shepherd's Compleat Early Nineteenth Century Woodworker, that is packed with information on vintage tools and woodworking techniques from this period. Reading through it would provide you with a lot of good background information.

I remember Steven Shepherd used to be pretty active on here but I haven't seen anything from him lately. I looked up the book as soon as I seen it mentioned on Amazon..wow. But as I continued looking I saw on another forum that it was available direct from the publisher I think. I think if I can't get it through a library loan I'll make it my next purchase.

Robert Rozaieski
02-11-2009, 7:48 AM
John,

I remember Steven Shepherd used to be pretty active on here but I haven't seen anything from him lately. I looked up the book as soon as I seen it mentioned on Amazon..wow. But as I continued looking I saw on another forum that it was available direct from the publisher I think. I think if I can't get it through a library loan I'll make it my next purchase.

Check out Stephen's old web site http://www.fullchisel.com/. Click on Alburnam's Archive in the left hand column. A lot of the information there is excerpted from his book. It's not the entire book but there's a lot of information on that site. It is a very good resource. You can also get to it from Stephen's blog.

Chuck Nickerson
02-11-2009, 1:31 PM
I've recently started doing period woodworking at a former stagecoach stop. I can offer two pieces of advice. 1) The docent's group probably has a library. You'll find specific reference material there. 2) Feel free to work with tool styles older than the target years. Frontier facilities were not likely to have the latest and greatest. My target year is 1870, but my tool styles range from 1780 (planes and saws), to 1850 (braces and bits).

John Dykes
02-18-2009, 1:09 PM
Thanks for the help, pointers, and pushes in the right direction. It gives me considerable confidence to press towards goals with this group guiding me....

I emailed the museum group asking to help or be used in any way they might need. The fella running it responded that he'd forward my request to the folks who handle that area.... Been quiet since then, and I've not followed up.

But regardless, I appreciate the response from you all...

Sue Wise
02-18-2009, 3:20 PM
John,
Keep us posted, I would be interested in what happens. If I can help in anyway, let me know.

-Sue

John Dykes
02-18-2009, 3:35 PM
Hiya Sue -

Certainly will. I've only been over on the farm a few times, and while they have the candle making, cooking, farming, and a blacksmith shop - I've never really noticed much woodworking... I get the impression they may not be terribly interested in the investment. As I told them, I could supply tools and even wood for my efforts, but eh - who knows. We'll see.

On a separate note (is it wrong to hijack my own thread??), I've found a few of your postings on Red Rocks. I've finally taken the plunge, and am in the 8hr Intro class. It's a bit slow, but it's nice to have a safety net (in person) that I can ask questions... Had I to do it over, I would have started w/ the joinery class - and then furniture making... Looking forward to next semester!

Not sure if you're still over taking classes, but I'm there Mon and Wed nights. I'm the guy with glasses and the salt-n-pepper beard - and bloody fingers.... :)

Stephen Shepherd
02-20-2009, 8:07 AM
with working softwoods like pine, fir and spruce for making your furniture and wooden objects. You should also get comfortable with painting (and or graining) your stuff as almost all of the furniture was painted.

In 1860, the rail head is still in Omaha, so shipping is a problem, takes time and is costly. Shipping crates usually of hardwoods from the states are occasionally used to make furniture and old examples do exist.

You need to become acquainted with the furniture styles of the period, visit museums and examine known examples so you can make authentic reproductions.

If you have any questions give me a call, my contact information is on my blog.

Stephen