PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Dell Studio Laptop

Dave Yanke
02-10-2009, 9:08 AM
Have a client that wants their new Dell Studio Laptop engraved in two places with very different properties. Setting aside the fact that I have nothing to experiment on, a repair on something this expensive makes me nervous. Although it already has Vista on it, so there isn't much more damage I could really do.

These are at bestbuy if I don't describe it well enough

The first is the outside, which has a painted type finish called "Premium Midnight Blue Finish, not textured, but obviously some kind of coating.

They also want the palm rests done just below the keyboard. It feels plastic with possibly some sort of clear finish. My laser is in my signature and I am just not sure of the settings. Generally I have something similar I have either done or can experiment with. They have seen others that have been done (brought in a photo) so it is not like I can even play the "can't be done on that material" card.

Any ideas?

Frank Corker
02-10-2009, 9:40 AM
Dave, not having done a laptop, if you remove the battery cover the side that faces inside will be a good place to do a small test.

Dave Yanke
02-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks Frank.

Yea, I would normally do that however in this case, it is a totally different material. I even contacted Dell to see about at least buying the area around the keyboard but was told "Not a user servicable part.".

Darren Null
02-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Whenever I do laptops, I do it very fast and light. Much less than I think I'll need. And then gradually step up the power, until the engraving is clear. Quite often, I'll end up going over it 10+ times; but that's much better than going over it once, but too hard.

If aiming is critical, I cover the area with masking tape and lightly zizz that to make sure that the engraving is going to be in exactly the right place without touching the surface I'm going to be doing.

These 'one chance to get it right' jobs are what engraving is all about.

Dave Marshall
02-10-2009, 11:00 AM
on my 60watt, I use settings of 35% Pwr, 100% spd for this laptop for both the cover and wrist rests.

Dave Yanke
02-10-2009, 2:18 PM
Thanks Darren and Dave. It gives me a point to "jump off" from, especially on the unknown outer shell.

Frank Corker
02-10-2009, 5:04 PM
Dave I would most certainly err on the side of caution, use only sufficient to get a mark and then do re-runs, you know it's a one way job and can't be undone.

Joe Pelonio
02-10-2009, 5:17 PM
I wouldn't suggest engraving a Dell laptop if it's still on warranty. They are hard enough to deal with on warranty work without having the laser job for them to use as an excuse. I won't go into the details.

Dave Johnson29
02-10-2009, 7:49 PM
They are hard enough to deal with on warranty work without having the laser job for them to use as an excuse. I won't go into the details.

You need to remind them of the Magnusson-Moss Act. To wit...

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/adv/bus01.shtm#Magnuson-Moss

Dave Yanke
02-10-2009, 10:23 PM
I wouldn't suggest engraving a Dell laptop if it's still on warranty. They are hard enough to deal with on warranty work without having the laser job for them to use as an excuse. I won't go into the details.

A valid point that I did mention to the customer, however see response to next quote.

Actually, and not to get the thread too sidetracked, Dell is one of the few computers I purchase. Their laptops tend to be bullet proof (at least the XPS series) and I have always had good luck with the service department. They made it relatively painless when I my wife got one at a retail outlet with Vista on it and I needed to upgrade it to Windows XP.

You need to remind them of the Magnusson-Moss Act. To wit...

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/adv/bus01.shtm#Magnuson-Moss

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your point of view I am very familiar with this and have had to invoke it in my other business (Auto/truck related) on behalf of customers.

Dave Yanke
02-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Dave I would most certainly err on the side of caution, use only sufficient to get a mark and then do re-runs, you know it's a one way job and can't be undone.

My thought at this point is to start it at 100% speed and 10% power being conservative and going up in increments of 5% on power until I start to zero in.

I will post here what I learn. I think it will be a week or two before I actually get it.

Daniel Hamilton
02-14-2009, 12:46 AM
if time is not an issue, let me know the model and i'll see what i can get you, i am a dell certified tech so i can order the "unserviceable"

Dave Yanke
02-14-2009, 1:31 PM
if time is not an issue, let me know the model and i'll see what i can get you, i am a dell certified tech so i can order the "unserviceable"

Good to know and i will put your email on "speed dial". Hopefully in this case, I won't need you. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the offer.

Daniel Muller
02-20-2009, 1:02 PM
Dave, not sure if you have done this yet but here is a pic i have done with one of my laptops.
speed 100 power 10
Dan

Dave Yanke
02-20-2009, 3:01 PM
Dave, not sure if you have done this yet but here is a pic i have done with one of my laptops.
speed 100 power 10
Dan

No, I am now waiting for it to come in. It looks more like Dell's standard "hard" finish on yours, but the results should be similar on this one. I will probably start at 5% power to be on the safe side.

Thanks for this pic.

Marc Myer
04-13-2009, 1:31 PM
Just curious: Do you clearcoat the finished product?

Ian Wilson (AUST)
04-21-2009, 1:06 AM
Hey Guys ,

Just new to this............... but what about frequency??? I have an epilog 35 Watt.

Cheers Willo

Frank Corker
04-21-2009, 7:26 AM
Hey Guys ,

Just new to this............... but what about frequency??? I have an epilog 35 Watt.

Cheers Willo

Frequency is only used when cutting with Epilog Ian so you don't need to worry about it. Speed and power settings only.

Tim Bateson
04-21-2009, 9:43 AM
Be careful of plastic laptop covers with a painted/coated surface. In most cases the top finish is different than anywhere else on the laptop. So there is no good place to test.
From my own experience & my own laptop - It had several layers of finish. I had problems with some of the layers. Some flaked, but the biggest problem was the plastic was pitted and filled smooth with the finish coats. This was undetectable until it was too late. Look closely at the top of this picture to see the horrific results.

Frank Corker
04-21-2009, 10:00 AM
jeepers Tim, that is a nightmare! Do you wrap it up at night to stop people looking at it?

Tim Bateson
04-21-2009, 10:48 AM
jeepers

Do they still use "jeepers" on that side of the pond? :p

Frank Corker
04-21-2009, 3:11 PM
Oh no, don't tell me that is banned as well is it! :eek:

Dave Russell Smith
04-21-2009, 3:17 PM
"By jove man" the revolution has started "Raise the flags man the guns" :eek:

Dmitriy Kumets
03-10-2010, 5:06 PM
Have a client that wants their new Dell Studio Laptop engraved in two places with very different properties. Setting aside the fact that I have nothing to experiment on, a repair on something this expensive makes me nervous. Although it already has Vista on it, so there isn't much more damage I could really do.

These are at bestbuy if I don't describe it well enough

The first is the outside, which has a painted type finish called "Premium Midnight Blue Finish, not textured, but obviously some kind of coating.

They also want the palm rests done just below the keyboard. It feels plastic with possibly some sort of clear finish. My laser is in my signature and I am just not sure of the settings. Generally I have something similar I have either done or can experiment with. They have seen others that have been done (brought in a photo) so it is not like I can even play the "can't be done on that material" card.

Any ideas?

So - any final results?