PDA

View Full Version : Wine Glass Template

Steve Clarkson
02-10-2009, 8:45 AM
I was asked to engrave a logo on the bottom of 70 wine glasses. Now doing one should be no problem using center/center engraving.....but does anyone have any suggestions how to do eight at a time?

I think if I measure the circumference of the top opening, then measure the circumference of the base......then draw those two circles in Corel and center them together, I should be able to accurately place the logo.

If I then duplicate these two circles seven times.....how do I place them on the page so that I will be able to accurately hit them with the laser. The problem is that the circumference of the middle of the wine glasses is larger than either the top or the bottom.....so that when I put two glasses next to each other, the bases are like 4" apart.....so my circles in Corel need to be a minimum of four inches apart.

I could put the first row at say (0,4) (0,8) (0,12) and (0,16)......but what about the second row? I'm not comfortable that I could put four glasses at EXACTLY (8,4) (8,8) (8,12) and (8,16)....

Also, I assume that when doing 8 glasses, I should use color mapping to engrave one logo on one glass at a time rather than doing, say, four logos in a row.....if you can picture that.

Thanks!

Dan Hintz
02-10-2009, 9:46 AM
Steve,

I would make a template for this... nothing fancy, but if you want to do more than one a template is a necessity. I'm imagining simple 1"x2" piece of wood with 1/4" dowels set every 4 1/4". Leave enough slop for varying glass widths, but not so much they roll... 1/16" should be enough. Glass top lays down against the plank, and you may need another jig to hold the stems from rolling. You now know the center of each glass, which should make the jig easy to replicate in Corel.

Frank Corker
02-10-2009, 10:00 AM
On something like this, I would put eight glasses bottom side down on my scanner, this way you will know exactly how much room you have to manouvre with the drinking part. Allow for two sides, left and right, which are the same height (and a bit more) as the glasses. Four at the top. Four at the bottom.

Scan at 300 dpi, mark the circles with a circle, put a smaller circle in the centre the same size as the glass stem. Cut a small oblong from the edge to the centre of the glass circles to allow the stem to slide from the top/bottom to the resting place for engraving. A bit like this but prettier.

Steve Clarkson
02-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Dan, I need to engrave the bottom of the glasses, not the sides. But that's a good idea if I ever do need to do the sides. Thanks.

Frank, I never thought of making a jig or scanning the bottoms.....thanks!

Frank Corker
02-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Nothng like getting your bottom scanned.

Dave Marshall
02-10-2009, 10:55 AM
pls see attached file.

Darren Null
02-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Nothng like getting your bottom scanned.
Heh. Xmas parties.

Measure the diameter of the top and bottom of the glasses; make circles for both; burn both circles on a bit of plywood (with enough space between them to cater for any bulgy bits in the middle of the glasses); stand the glasses exactly in their rings and voila. Then place the design in the middle of the 'base' circles in Corel; delete the circles; focus on the glasses' base and burn.

Steve Clarkson
02-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks Dave & Darren.....kind of like two different ways to do the same thing.....but both should work.

Dan Hintz
02-10-2009, 1:17 PM
Dan, I need to engrave the bottom of the glasses, not the sides. But that's a good idea if I ever do need to do the sides. Thanks.
Ahhhhhhhh..... nevermind, then :D I was reading that as "bottom of the bell", not "underneath".

Dave Johnson29
02-10-2009, 1:50 PM
Steve,

For 70 glasses I would be inclined to do them one at a time. If you take how long it will take to discuss here, scan and make a jig, prepare the Corel, color map etc etc, opening the door 70 times does not seem too bad to me.

Just a though. If you think you may be getting hundreds to do then I would look at something mechanical to hold them. Something solid and repeatable like Frank's sketch and made from plywood and CNC machined.

Just my 2c.

Steve Clarkson
02-10-2009, 2:45 PM
I can only HOPE that there will be hundreds more!

Gary Hair
02-10-2009, 6:18 PM
For 70 I would sandcarve them. Actually, anything more than a couple and I would sandcarve them. The result is much better than laser and would probably take a lot less time.

Gary

Dave Johnson29
02-10-2009, 7:34 PM
For 70 I would sandcarve them.

Quick Steve, get your checkbook, I think we just covered the sandblasting issue in a recent thread. :D:D:D:D

Albert Nix
02-10-2009, 7:41 PM
How tall are the glasses? Your Table must go lower than mine.

Steve Clarkson
02-10-2009, 7:47 PM
Nah Dave.....I heard the sandblasters, although superior to lasers, are just too messy. I'm saving up to get on that thread of flame polishers.....but I'm waiting for written permission from Frank before I order.......

Yea Al.....they just BARELY make it in (maybe 8" tall?).....I pulled off the grid and put one of them on the very bottom. Clearance is like two inches!

Albert Nix
02-11-2009, 9:19 AM
Well I am jealous,I doubt I can do anything over 6 1/2" high and would have to use the 1.5 lens at that. Oh well cant have everthing I guess.