PDA

View Full Version : Beveled Edge on Acrylic

Steve Clarkson
02-10-2009, 8:03 AM
I don't suppose anyone has figured out a way to put a beveled edge on acrylic using the laser. Go way out of focus maybe?

I was asked to make 500 pieces of 1/8" acrylic in 3"x5" pieces.....but with a beveled edge around each piece.

Normally, I would have gone searching for a supplier who offerred them.....but the person who asked me to do it is actually.....MY ACRYLIC SUPPLIER! One of his customers needs it and I'm assuming he wants to supply the acrylic to be cut. Hmmmm.....maybe I could just TELL him I used his acrylic!!!

I turned it down, but thought I would ask anyway.

Frank Corker
02-10-2009, 8:18 AM
You can actually rout them with a router. Then they can be polished or flame polished to get the edge (no not yet Steve). Or alternatively you could angle them and laser each side at a time.

Steve Clarkson
02-10-2009, 8:30 AM
Hehehe......that was the SECOND reason why I turned it down......they wanted the edges flame polished! I explained to them that Frank hadn't taught me that yet......

Frank Corker
02-10-2009, 8:31 AM
Steve did you ever get the logo sorted out for the SMC Collaboration?

Dee Gallo
02-10-2009, 8:39 AM
Steve - you might want to check out this Lee Valley tool: Veritas® Mk.II Power Sharpening System

It is a beautiful thing and does a great job on metal, wood and acrylic. I've used it for bone, bakelite, pyralin and celluloid too. The part you'd like is the angle tool rest, which should make beveling acrylic evenly a breeze..although you're still holding it there one side at a time. For $400 it's well worth it!

cheers, dee

Steve Clarkson
02-10-2009, 8:53 AM
Thanks Dee......but can I just borrow yours? It'll save me 400 bucks! It's good to know that it's there though, in case I do need it someday. Thanks again.

Frank, I sent a PM to Keith asking for it in a vector and I'm waiting for him to get back to me.....maybe I should have just asked you to MAKE it using your double secret vectorizing program......

Joe Pelonio
02-10-2009, 9:14 AM
Do a test of what I have done and see if they will go for it. Change the cut hairline to 2-3 point thickness. Engrave at very slow speed, like 25, and 100% power. Then change back to hairline and cut. It will leave a bevel, though it will not be glossy. Works well on engraving stock too but use normal engraving setting.

Steve Clarkson
02-10-2009, 9:18 AM
Thanks Joe!

Scott Shepherd
02-10-2009, 9:19 AM
I saw this a few days ago and I have been meaning to try it out. Not sure if it'll work or not, but it's something I have been pondering making for about a year, and now I'm glad I didn't, since it already seems to exist, and that's a holder for a dremel tool that would allow you to bevel the edges without spending $400 on a beveler.

This is made by Dremel, it's not aftermarket.

Larry Bratton
02-10-2009, 9:30 AM
You could use 1/4" solid surface and bevel it with a saw.

Chip Peterson
02-10-2009, 9:32 AM
I've got one and have never used it (although I threw the box away). For small things, I'm confident that it will work as advertised. I may have to give it a go.

I saw this a few days ago and I have been meaning to try it out. Not sure if it'll work or not, but it's something I have been pondering making for about a year, and now I'm glad I didn't, since it already seems to exist, and that's a holder for a dremel tool that would allow you to bevel the edges without spending $400 on a beveler.

David Fairfield
02-11-2009, 9:14 AM
The Dremel shaper table is a nice, inexpensive tool. You need the dremel to go with it, though. I've had one for years and it finds many uses.

Dave

George D Gabert
02-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Could you use a router with a bevel and roller guide used to tromming laminate on counter tops.

I have used that setup to make wooden plaques with special edges. not shure of the edge finish on acrylic.

GDG

Steve Clarkson
02-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Good suggestion George......but I don't have a router. :(

Joe Pelonio
02-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Good suggestion George......but I don't have a router. :(
I do, and have done that, but if you try it wear long sleeves and full-face mask because those chips fly and can be sharp!

Bill Cunningham
02-14-2009, 8:37 PM

I've been using one of those dremel bench routers as a beveler for almost 20 years.. Could 'never' see myself paying 400-500 bucks for a beveler just to put a edge on name badges.. Just had to make a little better backplate with a smaller slot to accomodate the thinner material and the even thinner bevel..

Dee Gallo
02-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Really, you guys... with all the equipment I see listed after your sigs, I'm surprised you balk at another one. But, this particular disk sander/polisher is my husband's which he uses for reshaping and polishing bevels on vintage plane and chisel blades. It allows you to set a precise angle. I hijack it to sand down bone or plastic mah jong tiles and polish them to a brilliant shine because you can keep a surface perfectly flat and it has grit disks up to 1000. I would think the dremel or router, of which we have several, might make a wobble in your edge if you're not really good. Then you would still have to polish or flame the edges.

Of course, if you didn't do this kind of work all the time or have a hundred to do, you would not "need" this toy.

- another 2 cents from dee

Scott Shepherd
02-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Dee, you really need to understand the way we work :)

You see, if it's more complicated than we can figure out, then the cost is justified. I can't make a laser from scratch :) However, when we look at something as simple as putting a bevel on a piece of material, our brain says "That should be about $89, where can I get one". Then we search and find out they are $400, 600, or even $800.

We then begin out quest to build it for $89 or less.

Just as an example, I really need a 1.5 lens for a job. However, I need the nosecone the ULS uses as well. Lens assembly is $500. I can't make it, so I have to complain under my breath as I buy it. However, the nosecone is about $150. As someone who's made 1000's and 1000's of parts out of metal, I figure the cost should be about $25-30 max. It's literally a 2 minute run time job. So I get the price- $150. WHAT? Guess what? I haven't bought the lens or the nosecone. I will buy the lens, but I'll make the nosecone on my metal lathe.

We are very simple creatures :) Honest.

Dee Gallo
02-15-2009, 11:26 AM
But Sctevotte, some of us simple girls just like to USE tools, not MAKE them.

The best is when your husband spends the big bucks and then you just use his tools...

:D dee

Scott Shepherd
02-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Great, now I gotta get a husband? :eek:

Dan Hintz
02-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Great, now I gotta get a husband? :eek:
I don't mind sharing my tools from time to time, but nighttime spooning is out of the question :p

Tony Lenkic
02-15-2009, 2:34 PM
I've been using one of those dremel bench routers as a beveler for almost 20 years.. Could 'never' see myself paying 400-500 bucks for a beveler just to put a edge on name badges.. Just had to make a little better backplate with a smaller slot to accomodate the thinner material and the even thinner bevel..

Bill, I paid lot more than 400-500 bucks for mine.
However it does nice job of engraving, cutting out holes and much more. It has 16 x 25" table so you can put bevel all around preset size of plate as last portion of production. Yes it is an engraving machine that I use to bevel individual or multiple plates in setup. All one needs is proper cutter angle and you are set. I'am sure you new that.

Bill Cunningham
02-15-2009, 3:35 PM
Bill, I paid lot more than 400-500 bucks for mine.
However it does nice job of engraving, cutting out holes and much more. It has 16 x 25" table so you can put bevel all around preset size of plate as last portion of production. Yes it is an engraving machine that I use to bevel individual or multiple plates in setup. All one needs is proper cutter angle and you are set. I'am sure you new that.

Ya! I just used mine to put a tiny bevel on name badges.. Back before the laser, I would use it to put a 45deg bev. on the edges, by running a 3" wide x 12" long strip past the bit on each side, then shear them to the standard 1" or 1.25" and then do those edges one at a time.. Now I usually just set up a sheet in the laser, and run em all at once forgoing the bevels unless the customer asks for them. Most don't.. But a lot ask for rounded corners which are easy on the laser.
Attached Thumbnails http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=91344&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1214358832 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=91344&d=1214358832)

George Brown
02-16-2009, 1:48 PM
But Sctevotte, some of us simple girls just like to USE tools, not MAKE them.

The best is when your husband spends the big bucks and then you just use his tools...

:D dee
That's CHEATING!

George Brown
02-16-2009, 1:50 PM
Dee, you really need to understand the way we work :)

You see, if it's more complicated than we can figure out, then the cost is justified. I can't make a laser from scratch :) However, when we look at something as simple as putting a bevel on a piece of material, our brain says "That should be about $89, where can I get one". Then we search and find out they are $400, 600, or even $800.

We then begin out quest to build it for $89 or less.

Just as an example, I really need a 1.5 lens for a job. However, I need the nosecone the ULS uses as well. Lens assembly is $500. I can't make it, so I have to complain under my breath as I buy it. However, the nosecone is about $150. As someone who's made 1000's and 1000's of parts out of metal, I figure the cost should be about $25-30 max. It's literally a 2 minute run time job. So I get the price- $150. WHAT? Guess what? I haven't bought the lens or the nosecone. I will buy the lens, but I'll make the nosecone on my metal lathe.

We are very simple creatures :) Honest.
How can you make a nose cone that is so thin walled and light?

Dee Gallo
02-16-2009, 1:51 PM
That's CHEATING!

I like to think of it as using your resources... besides, isn't it better when someone else buys the supplies and maintains the equipment so it's nice and shiny when you need it?? Sort of like your bathroom and kitchen at home...:rolleyes:

Scott Shepherd
02-16-2009, 2:13 PM
How can you make a nose cone that is so thin walled and light?

Same way the people who made the ones for ULS did. They used a CNC lathe, I'll just have to do it manually.

George Brown
02-16-2009, 2:28 PM
Same way the people who made the ones for ULS did. They used a CNC lathe, I'll just have to do it manually.

Would you be willing to make two???:D

Mike Null
03-12-2009, 8:58 PM
If all you needed the beveler for was name tags then I might (but probably not) buy into the idea of a Dremel or a router or a sander.

But when you need to put a bevel on .5" x.5" or .5 x 1" labels those aren't the tools. Beveling should also be done face up so you don't risk scratching the surface.

Beveling doesn't come with the job--it's an add on so you can pay for your time and equipment. If you're doing legend plates product id labels and control panel labels not to mention signs and name tags, then a real beveler is a justifiable tool.

Johnson Plastics carries them and there are some now on ebay.

Mike Chance in Iowa
03-13-2009, 3:29 AM
Has anyone tried something like this cornering tool (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32682&cat=1,41182,41200)? If the link doesn't work, go to www.leevalley.com (http://www.leevalley.com) and search for item number 05k50.30

It may come in handy for small jobs once you get the hang of using the tool to create a seamless cut.

Roger Savatteri
03-13-2009, 4:39 AM
Steve,

I've cut a 45 degree angle with the Festool plunge saw (TS55)/with rail and their plastic blade on both 1/4 " sheets and 1" stock.

After that I took in graduated grits up to 400 and block sanded the edge with wet/dry sandpaper and then flame finished the edge.

(I've also done it on a hand held trim router/ sand /flame finish)

Roger

David Fairfield
03-13-2009, 9:23 AM
Ah, I see another opportunity to suggest, for the next generation of laser cutters (drumroll please)

A 45 degree angle feature !

Think about the stunning dovetails, seamless corners, matt board, fancy edges you could do .... oh golly! :D :eek: :)

A guy can dream, can't he? ;)

Dave

Mike Null
03-13-2009, 10:29 AM
Take a look at equipment made in Japan by Keyence.

Dave Johnson29
03-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Why not use an angle table and mount the parts on the angle?

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/product_id/20872/nm/Tilting_Tables_WT_Import_

Mount the material upside down and cut along the top edge. Use locating strips bolted to the face of the plate.

David Fairfield
03-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Mike

I had a look at Keyence products, lotta stuff there, what exactly should I be looking for?

Dave

Dave Johnson29
03-13-2009, 1:59 PM
I had a look at Keyence products, lotta stuff there, what exactly should I be looking for?

David,

Get ready to slap your forehead and utter those words... :D

http://www.keyence.com/products/barcode/lasermarker/mlz9500/mlz9500_features_4.php

David Fairfield
03-13-2009, 2:39 PM
Is a laser marker the same as a laser cutter? (Getting ready to slap my forehead again :D)

Dave

Dave Johnson29
03-13-2009, 5:25 PM
Is a laser marker the same as a laser cutter?

Hi Dave,

You can stop now. A laser marker is the same in some aspects. They use a head called a Galvanometer which is basically one or two mirrors mounted on an angle and then mounted on stepper motor(s).

The mirrors guide the beam. They are not good for cutting as they beam comes from a central vertical point before hitting the mirror and the farther out the cut-line from the vertical center, the greater the angle of the cut. That is good if you want an angled cut, but it is not possible to make a square cut so they tend to refer to them as marking rather than cutting.

The Galvos are extremely fast though as the moving mass is tiny. Synrad make a head that attaches directly to their lasers.

bob pfohler
03-13-2009, 11:18 PM
I rarely get requests for rounded corners.

Right after I got my laser my first job was name tags. I didn't have a beveler and the customer made no request for beveled edges so I rounded the corner.
The day after I delivered them she called back and said, "I think I'd like them with beveled edges". She was willing to pay again and the next day I lucked out and found a beveler on Craig's List for $300.
Now I put beveled edges on all acrylic signs I make and my customers love them.

I think it really makes the signs look sharp. For me it was worth every penny!