PDA

View Full Version : Computer enclosure

Bill Morrison
02-10-2009, 4:59 AM
I don't know if this is off topic or not. Guess I'll find out. Does anyone have their computer enclosed to keep dust out. I'm moving one of my computers to the garage where all of my woodworking tools are and I want to make sure it stays relatively dust free. Any tips, photos?

Also, someone had mentioned Network Magic in an earlier thread and take it from someone who spent a lot of time setting up networks in offices with windows NT, it is magic. It took about 15 minutes to set up 5 computers and a photo server plus it found each printer and lets you share each printer, etc. It even found the label maker I had attached to one of the computers.

Thanks
Bill

Lee Schierer
02-10-2009, 8:10 AM
Computers are sensitive to heat, so enclosing one might be a problem if the heat builds up too much. Recirculating the same air through the computer will result in a significant heat build up in a relatively short period of time unless you also have a cooling system for teh enclosure.

I have my router in a closed box, except for a air inlet and an exhaust port for dust collection purposes. One day I neglected to turn on the dust collector and ran the router for about 5-10 minutes. I was amazed at how hot the air in the router table enclosure got in that short period of time with no through air flow.

Anthony Scira
02-10-2009, 9:00 AM
You can always put air filters in front of the fans and add a couple more fans for better circulation.

Joe Chritz
02-10-2009, 9:14 AM
The computer desks I built the kidlets for Christmas have enclosures. I ended up cutting a few large (4") holes in the back to allow air to circulate better.

The newer computers have pretty decent fans but you really need someway for the air to be kicked out and room temp air brought in. So far the large holes seem to work good.

Joe

Chuck Wintle
02-10-2009, 10:46 AM
some companies make enclosures that filter out dust. I found that computer internals get dusty quickly and a good blow-out with compressed nitrogen cleans them out well.

Rich Lightfoot
02-10-2009, 10:10 PM
If you want to completely enclose the system I would seriously consider a liquid cooling system. Keep the radiator outside of the enclosure and blow the dust off it once in awhile. Keep in mind though that excess heat can also mean death for a power supply and there isn't an off the shelf way to liquid cool those so it would still need a fresh air supply. There are some fanless power supplies for a standard PC but they get expensive. For a little more money you could probably pick up a Via based fanless system or put one together yourself. A lot of the Via based stuff is designed for harsh environments and can be completely sealed up.

Richard Chan
02-11-2009, 10:17 AM
My company sells a completely closed laptop, with the screen closed you can drive a humvee over it. But it'll cost you a few pretty pennys:). But for someone with a smaller budget then uncle sam you can buy a fairly inexpensive car PC. Just google"car PC" you should be able to get a fanless pc with the new Intel Atom CPU. You have to realize you will not get the speed of your desktop, unless you're still running a 386.
Good luck, if you need help shoot me a PM and maybe I can help a little.

jeremy levine
02-11-2009, 10:43 AM
If you build an enclosure , dowload this
http://www.download.com/CPUCool/3000-2086_4-10030089.html

(google cpucool) get the free version. It will allow you to see the temp censors on your system. Use you computer with the tool running. Write down the max temps you see. Put it in the enclosure and repeat, if you don't really increase the temp you should be fine.

Jamie Delker
02-11-2009, 1:35 PM
These do a pretty good job:
http://www.dirtbag.biz/

Al Willits
02-12-2009, 6:54 PM
I'm building a comp now for both data and music in the shop, I will hook it up to my pre amp and use the 320g HD for wav files.

I'm planning on putting the computer in a box, that is raised about 4" off the ground and is open on the bottom and rear, I'll mount furnace filters in the openings and hopefully keep the saw dust to a mimimun and heat low enough not to fry anything....hopefully..:)

Al