PDA

View Full Version : Steel City Jointer Help

Kyle Tucker
02-10-2009, 1:54 AM
Hello to all,

It has been some time since I last posted on here, but I have found this site to be so helpful to me with my projects and such. That said, I am in the market for a jointer. I was seriously considering a 8" Grizzly, based upon bed length, price, and good reviews. However, I was in the Woodsmith store in Des Moines on Sat., and they have a heck of a deal on the Steel City 6" granite fence jointer, model # 40615G. Regular price, $879.99, sale priced at $499.99. I know this is a steal, and many of you may tell me to run, not walk, but if I may I have a few questions before I go back to possibly buy it:

1. Does anyone have this jointer, and if so your opinion?...
2. This jointer has a 68" table, I don't plan on face jointing much material, so is there really an advantage to an 8" model over a 6"?
3. This model has a 3 knife HSS cutterhead. I have read so much about quick change knives, 4 blade cutterhead, spiral, etc. I am a bit confused. Is this cutterhead a pain to set-up and maintain, and are 3 knives sufficient? I understand most jointers are set up this way, but I am curious as to your opinions. Also, is the fence height of 4" o.k.?

Wood magazine just did a review of 6" jointers and for whatever reason did not include this model so???

Anyhow, thanks to those who can offer any advise, good or bad.

Randy Rose
02-10-2009, 6:58 AM
I have the S/C 6"x 68" and am pleased with it.

george wilson
02-10-2009, 10:14 AM
3 knives are fine.In the history of smaller jointers,3 knives have been the norm. My 8" has 3 knives. 4 might stay sharp a little longer,but also obviously cost more.

I recommend Dispoz-a-blade,but I'd wait till you got the 8" to invest in them. Once had,blade changes take 15 min.,no adjustments,and per edge the blades,which are double sided, cost less than sharpening. Especially less when you do not have to replace the old fashioned normal HSS blades 1/8" thick.

The granite fence? I guess the cast iron fences on jointers are prone to warp,being so long and thin. The granite is very stable material. I'd check very carefully for micro cracks when you get the machine. 4" high is fine. Must run.

Abe Hachmann
02-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Definitely run and get this jointer. I bought it about a year ago from tool king for 700. The granite fence is great. I am not sure it functions any better than a cast Iron fence but it cool looking and guaranteed for 10 years. The knives came adjusted perfectly from the factory on mine and haven't needed sharpened or changed yet. For the price you are looking at I would use the stock knives until they get dull and then replace the head with a shelix carbide inset model. I use it quite frequently for edge jointing and occasionally for face jointing. The length of the tables is great for jointing up to about 8' for a lighter board and about 6' for some very heavy 8/4 oak I used. The dust collection works pretty good. The 6" width was Ideal for my shop with space constraints. I get most of my lumber hit or miss planed anyway. Someday I hope to upgrade to a 16" model. If I ever do I will be keeping this jointer for all of my edge jointing needs. Overall I would definitely buy this model again.

Wilbur Pan
02-10-2009, 11:32 AM
2. This jointer has a 68" table, I don't plan on face jointing much material, so is there really an advantage to an 8" model over a 6"?

If you have a board that tears out as you joint it, skewing the board will give you better results. That's the real advantage of having increased width on a jointer.

Ted Shrader
02-10-2009, 5:09 PM
2. This jointer has a 68" table, I don't plan on face jointing much material, so is there really an advantage to an 8" model over a 6"?Kyle -

I went from a 6" to an 8" 40620G. I have used the 8" capacity for face jointing in order to skew the boards as they pass over the knives. The quick change knife system on it performs just fine.

Full disclosure: The 6" PM50 was on semi permanent loan and it finally went to its rightful home. I had planned for a long time on an 8" when that day finally came. Did the shopping and the Steel City 8" Granite was a good buy and in my price range.

6" vs 8" is sort of like the "If you build it, they will come" line in Field of Dreams.

Regards,
Ted

Kyle Tucker
02-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Thanks to you all for your time and input. I don't really want to end up buying this one and one day having to upgrade to an 8" model, but since this is my 1st jointer and not fully knowing the ins and outs of how I will use it beyond edge jointing, I don't think I can pass up this deal.

Thanks again,

Kyle

george wilson
02-10-2009, 11:14 PM
The Steel City brand was established by some Ex Delta employees who weren't satisfied with the engineering their company was doing.