PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Question.

Mark Waltrip
02-10-2009, 1:00 AM
I'm sorry that I'm bothering you all with my rookie questions, but I need a little advice since I'm brand new to turning and don't have anyone locally to help. I've been wanting to learn how to turn for awhile now, and the wife just bought me a new Jet JWL-1236 for Christmas that I just assembled last week. So, if you all could please be patient and answer some questions it would be greatly appreciated.

Before I start my headstock & tailstock taper are both MT-2.

1) What type of tool do I need to drill a hole through the center of a piece I have turned? Would it be a tailstock tool or a head stock tool?

2) What tool would I need in order to tap a piece of copper?

3) Finally, are all woodturning lathe chucks generic in the sense that the headstock and tailstock taper are irrelevant?

That's all I will ask for now. Sorry for the questions, but I'm completely 'green' when it comes to lathes.

Dewey Torres
02-10-2009, 1:03 AM
Welcome the the Creek!~

I am new too (2 weeks now) so I will let the pros answer and they will. Good to have you on board.

alex carey
02-10-2009, 1:21 AM
First off welcome to the forum. Trust me you are bothering no one. We love answering question.

1. This is what you need. You put it in the tailstock. I think your morse taper size is #2 but I'm not sure.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=683&filter=lathe

2. no idea but im sure about 25 people will chime in on this.

3. The tailstock does not matter in any sense but the headstock spindle nose does matter. Your lathe has a 1" by 8tpi. So when you buy a chuck you also have to buy an adaptor that fits your lathe. The morse taper does not matter.

Hope this helps. Keep the questions coming no matter what they are and no matter how dense you think they are. We love answering them. :)

Alex

Steve Schlumpf
02-10-2009, 7:39 AM
Mark - Welcome to the Creek!

Alex did a good job on answering your questions. The question regarding tapping a piece of copper really would depend on the size of the copper and the purpose of the piece once it was tapped.

It always seems like there is no one in our area when we start out but it is surprising how many turners there actually are out there! Where are you located? Many folks on this site and someone may just be near you. There is also the possibility that there is an AAW turning chapter close to you also and can check that out here: http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/LocalChapters.asp

Like Alec already stated - we like questions - so ask lots!

Jim Kountz
02-10-2009, 8:21 AM
Mark welcome to the creek, dont worry the guys here have thick skin and are always happy to answer questions, Lord knows I bugged them enough when I got started, in fact I still do!! Nothing to add to your questions that hasnt already been answered but I did want to know, you dont drive a race car do you?? LOL

Bill Bulloch
02-10-2009, 9:07 AM
Mark welcome to the creek, dont worry the guys here have thick skin and are always happy to answer questions, Lord knows I bugged them enough when I got started, in fact I still do!! Nothing to add to your questions that hasnt already been answered but I did want to know, you dont drive a race car do you?? LOL
Mark, I, too, got the Jet 1236 for Christmas. After two weeks, I tried to turn an out of balance piece using the the 90 degree Outboard position. Big mistake; the lathe vibrated so severely that it broke the motor mount before I could get it turned off (about 5 seconds), Unfortunately, the motor mount is part of the motor, not a seperate piece. Fortunately (for me), Jet recognized the problem and replaced the Motor in less than a week (Outstanding Customer Service).

I am, also, new to turning, so I am passing this caveat on to you in hopes that you don't make the same mistake that I made. Make sure you have the lathe bolted to the floor or weighted down good before you try Outboard turning.

Bill Bulloch
02-10-2009, 9:17 AM
As you can tell, I am new to posting also. Don't know how I quoted Jim in that message.

Bill

Ken Fitzgerald
02-10-2009, 9:31 AM
As you can tell, I am new to posting also. Don't know how I quoted Jim in that message.

Bill

Bill,

Typically to quote someone, you click on the "Quote" button at the bottom of their post. This will open up a reply window and have their quote at the top of the window.

Welcome to the Creek!

Dave Schell
02-10-2009, 9:32 AM
Grizzly offers drill chucks and morse taper arbors as well: http://grizzly.com/products/searchresults.aspx?q=drill%20chuck

Richard Madison
02-10-2009, 9:34 AM
Mark,
Can you tell us more about the "tapping copper" question, and show us pictures if possible? We love pictures. Copper can be difficult to tap because it is a soft, "sticky" material, and the tap tends to sieze in the hole. Use of a lubricant is essential.

Gordon Seto
02-10-2009, 11:43 AM
A BIG +1
That is the best advice you can get.
Don't rush into buying tools first. Lathe tools are mostly held free hand. You have to follow certain principles for tool control. It would make turning easier and safer. Your local chapter is the best value. Most have library of books and DVDs, hands-on mentoring programs. They will shorten your learning curve.

Gary Kvasnicka
02-10-2009, 6:46 PM
Welcome to the Creek Mark. Keep asking questions, I learn a lot from others questions... most I did not have enough smarts to ask. You didn't say where you are, but on the off chance you can't find a local club or class there are a lot of great DVDs. I often put a portable player out by my lathe and it is monkey see monkey do.:)

Good Luck, and by the way you will never have any free time or extra money again.:rolleyes:

Kaptan J.W. Meek
02-10-2009, 8:11 PM
I was goin to say tapping copper is not very hard.. just gotta use a good cutting oil, and the right size hole for the right size tap. However Richard beat me to the lubricant part.