PDA

View Full Version : My first turn at Turning.. pun intended :)

Eric Teague
02-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Well, I have had my lathe (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=103223) for about a week and I decided to give it a try. I experimented with some scrap for an hour or so and then decided to try to make something for real.

I have some scrap 4x4 Redwood in the pile so I grabbed a piece and gave it a spin. I decided to make a bottle shaped lamp, since my wife has been bugging me for one for a lamp for a while. I was so looking forward to the lathe, I almost forgot to drill the hole for the wire. :p

Well, I think it turned out ok. I learned my tools need some serious attention, but what do you expect from a $9 set of tools (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3793). :)

BTW, I did it freehand, ie no templates, calipers etc.

I used my new router table to route the channel for the cable in back (all 1/2 inch of it) and put 15 steel balls in the base to add stability. Since I never throw away cords, I recycled a plug from an old radio and the socket only cost me $1.25 at the local Habitat for Humanity (http://www.habitatriverside.org/content/view/15/30/). So with the cost of the hot glue (holds the steel balls in place), the lamp cost me about $1.50 plus the shade.

What do you think for a first turn?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-10-2009, 12:11 AM
Eric....I'd say that's the best and first inverted "Bonker" lamp I've seen! Well done sir!

Steve Schlumpf
02-10-2009, 7:24 AM
Eric - missed your first post......... so, Welcome to the Creek! Your lamp looks pretty good! Nice form and finish! Your wife should be real happy with it!

Jim Kountz
02-10-2009, 8:27 AM
Eric thats a fine bonker lamp!! Good job and keep em coming!!

Eric Teague
02-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Funny thing is, I have to "keep em coming".... my wife wants one on the other side of the bed so they match :)

charlie knighton
02-10-2009, 11:12 AM
very nice, did she say that had to match???? keep her happy and your turnings universe will expand

David Christopher
02-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Eric, that is a very nice lamp.....keep up the good work... and keep the pics coming

Eric Teague
02-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Yeah, they have to match.

That's ok, because I can use the practice on making matched turning, ie spindles, legs, etc.

I am waiting for Penn State to get their MT#1 pen mandrels back in stock so I can start turning pens. Bummer is that their free DVD with the $10 coupon is out of stock and will not be three till March.

David Gunn
02-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Eric,

Woodturningz.com has a #1 morse taper mandrel. I think it is the same one PSI has. The also have PSI pen kits for a better price.

Eric Teague
02-10-2009, 1:03 PM
Unfortunately, I was looking at the all-in-one kits at Penn State because they came with the 3-piece HSS tool set, mandrel, trimmer, glue, finish, 5/5 pen/pencil and blank combo.

Bernie Weishapl
02-10-2009, 4:46 PM
That is a great looking bonker lamp. Now you will get your practice measuring to make the match.