PDA

View Full Version : 7yo+ Lenox Tri-Master stock

Grant Vanbokklen
02-09-2009, 10:42 PM
I have a lead on some 7yo+ stock Tri-Master in 1" x 3TPI for a good price.

What would be the difference between it and say newer stock or even a 2/3 TPI blade.

The price is good and I am thinking I could afford to buy enough for two blades and be able to have a backup if one broke, for roughly less than the price of one blade.

I've read that Lenox changed its band metal about 4yrs ago to a more flexible metal that handles fatigue better.

Also I'm under the impression that the 2/3 TPI version of the Lenox is the one you really want for wood in the 1" sizing.

Is it worth it to have two 1" 3TPI Lenox Tri-Master blades over having just one of another brand or style for a slightly higher price?

Any input?

Zach Dillinger
02-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Grant,

This might be a waste of time, but can your bandsaw effectively tension such a wide blade? What bandsaw do you have?

Zach

Chris Padilla
02-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Well, I dunno about the material change and I dunno about a 3 tpi Trimaster since I have the 2/3 var. tpi Trimaster (1") but if the price is good, it would be hard to pass up, I think.

I'm fairly certain some folks on here have a 1" 3 tpi Trimaster as I've seen it posted about before. Try a search on it.

Charlie Plesums
02-10-2009, 3:59 PM
The opinion (not confirmed by Lenox) was that you didn't want to use their 1 inch TriMaster on less than a 20 inch wheel. Other vendors limit their 1 inch carbide blades to 18 inch wheels.

I know a number of users of the Lenox 1 inch blade with 16 inch wheels, but they all have fairly new blades.

Grant Vanbokklen
02-10-2009, 8:09 PM
Zach and Charlie,

LT20. It should handle the 1" blade.

Just want to see if there was any feedback on older stock 3TPI blades. I'll be resawing down to 1/16" veneers of mostly balsa, paulownia, and some cedar.

Since I could get two blades for less than the price of one Resaw King or other carbide blade.

Chris Padilla
02-10-2009, 9:04 PM
Grant,

I would do it if I were you. I know balsa and cedar are very soft but I'm not sure about the paulownia. The carbide on this should go through it easily but it will need some sanding to clean up the marks. I've been resawing lottsa walnut to ~3/32" and drum sanding down to 1/16". I've been using a Lenox Diemaster 2 (1/2", 6 tpi, hook style, bimetal) and have been getting very nice results on my Minimax MM20 (20") bandsaw. For the cost of this blade, the results are surprisingly good and it has a smaller kerf than the carbide blades.

Grant Vanbokklen
02-10-2009, 10:41 PM
I've been using a Lenox Diemaster 2 (1/2", 6 tpi, hook style, bimetal) and have been getting very nice results on my Minimax MM20 (20") bandsaw.

Chris,
May I ask why you use this blade in particular? You have a 20" saw, why only a 1/2" blade, and 6TPI seem to be a high number of teeth for resawing.

I should say, I have been using 3/4" Bi Metal Lenox 3TPI for cutting Teak, and yes good blade.

Alan Schwabacher
02-10-2009, 11:18 PM
What can you do with 1/16" balsa veneer? Are you building model airplanes?

Charlie Plesums
02-11-2009, 9:55 AM
Just want to see if there was any feedback on older stock 3TPI blades.

The theory of the 2-3 TPI rather than 3TPI was that it changed/reduced the harmonic frequency... the blade vibration. I haven't had a problem with blade vibration, so that difference is academic to me. I would not worry about the 3 tpi spec.

Since I could get two blades for less than the price of one Resaw King or other carbide blade.

Have you considered the Lenox Woodmaster CT (Carbide Tip) 1 inch blade? It has become my favorite - narrower kerf than the TriMaster, very smooth cut, and about half the price of the TriMaster. I just got a 178 inch blade from Industrial Blade in Santa Ana for $115.50 plus postage.