PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Turner and New Toy

Tom Henry
02-09-2009, 10:05 PM
OK!!! I did it...I bought one of these black hole tools that everyone warns you about...I was looking for a long time for something to come along and fit the bill. I wanted to start turning but didn't want to start on a mini lathe because I was afraid I would out grow it. But then I didn't want to spend a ton on a larger lathe and find out I didn't like turning. So I found this.

I bought it for $225. I figured a mini would be that and with this I would get the opportunity to try larger items... well boys fill me in...does anyone have this lathe? :D

Paul Douglass
02-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Congrats! Now you have the least expensive part! You will love it.

lynn smith
02-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Hey good score.
I have one of those and paid the going sears price.
It has really done a good job getting me off the ground with turning.
It will serve you well.
Congrats and welcome to the vortex.

Dewey Torres
02-09-2009, 10:37 PM
I am new too!

Hey...chug one of those mojitos and put on some tunes...time will fly!

JK don't drink and turn;)

George Morris
02-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Well Tom you fell in to the bottomless pit! Congrats! You have to stop by and show me how you are doing! Good luck and throw a cover over the flat tools they make good tables for your wood turnings! G

Tom Henry
02-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Well Tom you fell in to the bottomless pit! Congrats! You have to stop by and show me how you are doing! Good luck and throw a cover over the flat tools they make good tables for your wood turnings! G

George...you have to help me out brother...I was looking for anything to turn...I was about to go in the woods behind my house and start looking for anything...:D

Gordon Seto
02-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Welcome to the dark hole. It seems you already like turning. What you have on the 3rd picture is a metal chuck. A wood turning chuck has larger contact area. Small contact area increases the chance of crushing the wood. Be careful of those knuckle buster jaws and they don't hold well for wood. Don't attempt to turn bowls with this kind of chuck.
Is this a re-badged Palmgren?

Bernie Weishapl
02-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Congrats on the lathe. I had one before I got my Nova. I agree with Gordon that the chuck maybe fine for spindles but not for bowls, hollow forms, lidded boxes, etc.

Paul Atkins
02-10-2009, 1:36 AM
Welcome from me too. Beware of that chuck. I've been turning for 25 years and am recovering from a hit from my 3 jaw chuck three weeks ago. Just not paying attention and in a rush.

Steve Schlumpf
02-10-2009, 7:57 AM
Tom - Welcome to the Creek! Looks like you are off to a great start!

Jim Kountz
02-10-2009, 8:16 AM
Tom welcome to the dark side of Sawmill Creek, you'll love it here! You're off to a good start, that lathe should serve you well in your learning period and then some. Funny you mentioned going to the wood behind your house. I did the same thing just looking for anything at all I could "chuck up" and turn. I finally found where some people were having a new road put in and there were a number of downed trees. I just asked them if they mind if I cut off a few chunks and they were happy to oblige me. As you go along you will start to hone your eye for possible blanks. You would be amazed where some of it comes from and from what circumstances.
Good luck and keep happy turning!!

David Christopher
02-10-2009, 11:34 AM
welcome Tom, we have a lathe at work just like yours... I have been there 2 years and the guys that use like it really well and have had no problems with it...good luck turning and show some pictures