PDA

View Full Version : Rose Bud HF

Bob Hallowell
02-09-2009, 9:22 PM
This was my first attemped at carving, I used my $5 carving vise from the other thread. I used some carbide burrs, files and sandpaper.

I tried to make it look like a rose bud, I got the wood from Keoni and he told me it was Koa but it doesn't look like the other peice of Koa I used. It stands 7"x5". I finished with buffed AO and painted the inside Black to make the shape stand out more.

Bob

Steve Schlumpf
02-09-2009, 9:30 PM
Looks really good to me Bob! I like the soft finish! Really nice work on the carving! Looks like one side folds inside the other! The blackened inside does make the carving stand out - cool effect! Nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
02-09-2009, 10:56 PM
That is really nice Bob. I really like the form and finish. Well done.

Bob Hallowell
02-10-2009, 7:24 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys

steven carter
02-10-2009, 8:05 AM
Really beautiful, the dark painted inside really sets it off!

Steve

Jim Kountz
02-10-2009, 8:24 AM
Bob I like it alot!! Great job on the carving and especially using the vise you made yourself, thats gotta feel good right!!
Just asking here but were you shooting for a pink background in the photo? If not your white balance needs set/adjusted to get rid of that pink hue. Looks good either way but I know everything I took a picture of there for a while had the same pink look to it until I discovered the trouble was the WB setting.

Again, excellent job on the turning/carving!!

Richard Madison
02-10-2009, 9:44 AM
Great looking piece Bob. You are now an arteeest. Always cool to delve into a new area of the wood turning art. As Dewey says, I too will carve something someday, instead of just sticking little segments together. Maybe.

Dewey Torres
02-10-2009, 10:34 AM
The craving really stands out. Great work!

Bill Bolen
02-10-2009, 12:18 PM
I love everything you did here. Beautiful piece. All your hard work really paid off. How did you home made chuck mount work out? Did it hold steady enough for your?...Bill..

John Frigillana
02-10-2009, 12:35 PM
:rolleyes: Bob, that is a nice hollow form. No, it doesn't look like Koa. Looks more like Kamani . I also sent a piece of Milo and Kou. DO you have the labels that was attached?

Keith Burns
02-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Bob, this is very nice. I like the black interior. I also like the subtle carving. Works perfect.

Bob Hallowell
02-10-2009, 12:53 PM
:rolleyes: Bob, that is a nice hollow form. No, it doesn't look like Koa. Looks more like Kamani . I also sent a piece of Milo and Kou. DO you have the labels that was attached?

thanks for the kind words guys

Keoni, it had koa written on it from you with a marker. It had a silver bark and love to tear out.

Bob

Toney Robertson
02-10-2009, 6:15 PM
Very elegant.

Toney

John Frigillana
02-10-2009, 6:21 PM
:eek: Bob, I may have wrote it in hast. When you mentioned silver bark it could only be the Kou not koa. Th AO that you used ,does it have a tint to it? I have a pic of a piece of Kou with Danish oil and buffed.

Gary Kvasnicka
02-10-2009, 6:23 PM
Very nice HF! Maybe one day I will try something that artistic. I am just now getting good at making things round.:)