PDA

View Full Version : Wall Cabinets

Bob Vavricka
02-09-2009, 9:13 PM
I'm almost reluctant to post this with the discussion thread going on about the cost/quality/construction of custom cabinets. I just finished these for my wife's sewing room and pretty much followed the method from Danny Proulx's book "Build Your Own Kitchen Cabinets." Yes, I did use melamine coated particleboard for the boxes and like the bright white interior it gives. The two cabinets span 6 feet and are 31 inches tall. The ceilings on the second floor of my house are only 7' 6" so the cabinets are only slightly higher than a standard kitchen upper cabinet. The new quilting frame will fit under them when it arrives. Finish is Country Oak stain and three coats of Sherwin Williams water borne poly (satin).
There is also a picture of the new Bernina 830 sewing/embroidery machine that is going to justify some new tool purchases:).
Thanks,
Bob Vavricka

Jason Tuinstra
02-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Gotta love the storage! Looks great.

John Keeton
02-10-2009, 7:33 AM
Bob, real nice job on the cabinets. I need to tell you though, and you may have already picked up on this, but the slope your wife is on may be as slippery as your "tool needs." My wife has a sewing room(s), an embroidery machine, and the list goes on...and on.....!

But, you are correct, it works out OK for my shop!!

Matt Meiser
02-10-2009, 7:48 AM
Bob, I really like the look. I'm thinking of making new doors for our kitchen at some point and that's one of the door styles I've been looking at.

Charlie McGuire
02-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Very nice cabinets Bob.

How did you attach the wood panels to the outside ends ?

Bob Vavricka
02-10-2009, 11:17 AM
John, You are right it is a slippery slope. We have a 4 bedroom house and with all our children married, one bedroom is now a sewing room and another a scrapbooking room (another slope). Once I finish some new sewing tables for sewing machine and serger plus a storage/cutting table, I hope to tackle a new shop and get out of the garage.

Bob Vavricka
02-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Charlie,
Thanks, I attached the end panels with 4 screws into the stiles from the inside. The face frame overhangs the end panel by 1/4 inch so I used a filler strip at the back to shim out the panel and an oak filler at the top to fill in for the crown molding.

John Keeton
02-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Once I finish some new sewing tables for sewing machine and serger plus a storage/cutting table, I hope to tackle a new shop and get out of the garage.
It is a wise man that attends to his wife's needs first! We are in very similar situations, but I was fortunate that when we built this home about 5 years ago, I built the shop first "because, Honey, I will need the shop set up so I can get this house built!!" But, I did pay a price for that in the end:D

John Shaffner
02-10-2009, 1:01 PM
SWMBO has more $$ tied up in her sewing machine, serger, quilting machine and frame and accessories than I do in my woodshop! I have also been enlisted to build her all the worktables, drawer units and cabinets for her sewing room. I'm slated to start this mega-project as soon as I draw up the plans and cutlist...probably within the next couple of weeks or so.

As with all new projects for the home, we should get a new tool or two to complete the job, right? I got a PC 4216 dovetail jig...and when I'm done, I'm told I can order a Grizz 0555 BS for my reward for a job well done! Cool!!

John