PDA

View Full Version : Considering a GO5132X Bandsaw

Bill Petersen
02-09-2009, 9:09 PM
Well, right now Grizzly is offering free shipping so I may just pull the trigger on a G05132X band saw. Does anyone here have one or have any opinions on it? The price seems darned good for what you get but I'm just curious if there are any down sides. I will be running it on 110 volts for the next couple of years and then rewiring to 220 when I retire and move.

Thanks, Bill

Sonny Edmonds
02-09-2009, 9:48 PM
Do you mean this one (http://grizzly.com/products/17-Bandsaw-2-HP/G0513), Bill? GO513 model?
Looks like a winner to me! I know a few folks with that saw and they like theirs just fine.
Do note the dual 4" dust collection ports. Not a problem, but something to think about.
You might want to reconsider that 240 volt change to right away.
I have an 18" Jet, 1 1/2 HP. I ran it on 120V for a number of years. Then when resawing a bridge timber one day it began laboring. I had never challenged it that hard before.
I finally did what I had been wanting to do and changed it over to 240 volts.
My feed for my TS is at the front, and I plug it in there anyway to 120 volt outlets. But now I plug it into my 30 amp, 240 volt outlet for my TS.
It just sang right along and ripped that timber down into boards.
Just a plug change, and a motor wiring change. No more laboring.

Oh, and a good swift kick in the pants for not doing it before. :D

Bill Petersen
02-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Yes, that's the basic one I'm looking at. There is another model (G0513X2) that comes with the cast iron trunnion, resaw fence, and double roller guides for $995. It's less expensive to just get that one than to do the add-ons to any other.

I don't have 220 in my garage right now but will be building a new shop with a house attached (see where my priorities are?) in a couple of years and will run lots of 220 outlets then. I can add an outlet now if I really need to, though.

Bill

Bill

Alan Greene
02-09-2009, 10:06 PM
I just ordered the GO513X2 last Friday. You might want to look at this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=103873. I too plan on running it on 110 for a while. The GO513 http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0513 does not have free shipping, has a smaller table, aluminum wheels and no mention of a cast iron trunnion. For only $131 more, IMHO I believe the X2 is the way to go.

Michael N Taylor
02-09-2009, 10:12 PM
I own the model you are looking at, I got mine on ebay for $895.00 and microsoft had 30% cashback that day, needless to say a very good deal.
The saw has plenty of power and the fence is very good for resawing. I would reccomend the saw to anyone.

Dave Cav
02-10-2009, 12:55 AM
I got my G0513X2 about six months ago, love it. I have three old 14" Powermatics and a 20" Rockwell at my school shop and the Grizzly saw cuts as well or better than any of them.

Dave C

Guy Belleman
02-10-2009, 5:54 AM
The G0513X2 arrived at my house two years ago, just after it came out. It has been a great saw. It has done everthing I asked it do on 110V including resawing 7 inch planks. I do plan on rewiring this summer for 220V, but like having the option.

When I bought the saw, I did not consider two features to be important. They were. I love having the tension window and also the blade tracking window. These are features I would never want to be without again.

For about the same price of many 14" bandsaws, that then need riser blocks and cool blocks, this 17" saw is a huge improvement right out of the box.

The 2XB might be just some better with the brake, but for $200 more, not sure I need that added feature.

Good luck, Guy

John Keeton
02-10-2009, 7:47 AM
I love mine! Definitely go for the 220V wiring.

Jim Kountz
02-10-2009, 8:03 AM
I love mine, I would buy it again in a second. In fact I plan on doing just that if and when I ever get the addition on my shop. I want to have one just for resawing and the other for everyday tasks. Right now Im roughing out 16" dia x 7" think maple bowl blanks and it just goes through them like buttah!!

Anthony Whitesell
02-10-2009, 8:54 AM
My question is: How much 110V service do you have in the garage? Running a DC (10-20A) and the G0513X2 (30A) on 110V will take a good 40-50 amps.

I have the saw and based on the cost of the wire versus breakers and fiddling in the panel to fit in a 220V breaker, it was cheaper (about 60%) to go with the 220V in my basement shop. I understand your garage-shop situation is a different, but something to keep in mind.

Gary McKown
02-10-2009, 11:31 AM
I got the 0513X2 last spring, and couldn't be happier. But get one or more good blades for serious work (Griz sells a reasonable selection of Timberwolfs, maybe also would ship free?). As to the blade brake, I'm trying to figure out how to make one (after the warranty runs out, of course). Those cast iron wheels DO spin for a long time, and almost silently, so strict attention is essential as it winds down.

Others have said it works, but I'm with Anthony wondering whether typical 110 installations would drive the machine properly. Heavy wheels plus big motor means the startup current would be quite high.

jerry nazard
02-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Bill,

I have had mine for 6 mos. What a nice saw!! Get some decent blades right off: the blade that Grizz sends with the saw is useful only for setting up the machine. I would tend to agree with the previous posters that 240v is the best way to power it.

-Jerry

Joe Close
02-10-2009, 1:00 PM
I've had mine for about a year, G0513x2. Love it. I bought the model w/ the rip fence and cast iron trunion. I've come to the conclusion that a brake would be nice. Also, a bigger table would be nice and larger throat. But that means a different saw. But as far as the G0513x2, awesome saw! Get a variety of good blades! It's a quiet, smooth, and powerful saw.