PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell 46-111

Mike Stephens
02-09-2009, 9:09 PM
About a month back I posted asking for advice on vibration and got a lot of good feed back.

Here is an over due update.

I made a torsion box for ballast with 200# of sand in it. I also raised the motor closer to the head stock and added a link belt. The lathe is level and now there is only slight vibration running at its fastest speed (3250 RPM).

I also made some dovetail draws out of Baltic Birch. Added some dust collection and a tool organizer thingy (technical term).

Thanks for the help.

109591 109593 109592 109594 109595

John Trax
02-09-2009, 9:43 PM
Mike,

You are waaay to organized! Your thingy (technical term) is almost exactly like the one I built for my Nova. Except yours looks better.

I've been rethinking it lately though as I've been roughing bowls. When I am doing spindle work or pens it is great but I keep running into it when I'm doing bowls. Need something better but I have not found it yet.

I am jealous of those drawers, I need to do that .... someday.

John

Bernie Weishapl
02-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Mike that is a great looking setup. I only see one problem. It is toooooo clean.:eek::rolleyes:;):cool::D

Mike Stephens
02-10-2009, 6:24 AM
John I only just started turning a month and a half ago, so no bowls yet. I did order a Oneway Talon that I should be getting soon. Also I am going to order some tools from Doug Thompson. I have been spending most of my time on the lathe learning how to use my tools and learning how to sharpen them.

I have made some simple things. Such as honey dippers ,garden dibbles and lots and lots of fire wood practicing rolling beads and coves.

Berny I have been knee deep in chips since I started. I had to clean a little to put the draws in.:) I just got them in last night.

Here is a some pics of my grinding set up.

109615 109616

I also have plans to make a side grind jig which I will be making very soon.

Joe Chritz
02-10-2009, 9:25 AM
I have that lathe and the base the 2nd or 3rd owner back built is pretty humorous.

A base like yours is on my planning book right now and I plan to shamelessly steal some ideas.

Is the base box full of sand? I was actually thinking about ditching my entire stamped stand and building a new base completely.

Joe

Mike Stephens
02-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Joe I should have built the stand too. I wasn't going to go crazy on this one but I can't help myself :o and the hole thing snowballed.

Steel whatever you like and expand upon it. I research things to death and then take (steel) bits and pieces from here and there and make them my own.

Now I'm ready to sell it and buy bigger.:D

Yes the torsion box has 200# of sand in it for ballast.

Steve Mawson
02-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Like the tool holder, might be a copy in the future.