PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Chest Is Finished!

Mac McAtee
07-05-2004, 6:14 PM
This is my rendition of a Southern Sugar Chest. I just brought it in the house from the workshop. It is finished!

Dimensions, measuring the base it is 21 1/4" long, 14 1/4" wide and 22 1/2" high with the lid closed.

I made it from Butternut wood. I posted a picture, a few days ago, of it prior to staining. I stained with water based aniline dyes, mixed the color from the basics, red, blue and yellow with a few touches of other colors to bring out the richness in the color. After that three coats of Danish oil. Followed that with Black Bison furniture wax. Butternut is sometimes called White Walnut. It is kin to American Black Walnut and has similar grain patterns, when you stain it, if you are good, it looks a lot like Black Walnut.

Way back in the good old days the mistress of the plantation kept the sugar locked up so the "help" wouldn't steal it. Kept the key around her person and unlocked the chest to get a lump of sugar out when it was needed. Sugar Chests were not uncommon in a large plantation house.

They are peculiar to the Southeast. There are many variations of the theme. Some stand on legs. Some are lined with tin. A lot of times you will see them identified as cellarets to hold bottles of wine or whiskey at the table. Usually that is a wrong assumption. If it is of Southeastern origin, coastal and Piedmont origin, and there are ones known from the Valley of Virginia, and they lock, it is a Sugar Chest. A few have been found in KY also.

A few months ago I posted a thread about a dovetail jig that I was building. The dovetails on this where cut on that jig. Works great.

Jack Hogoboom
07-05-2004, 6:34 PM
Mac, it looks great. A truly unusual piece. Thanks for the picture as well as the history lesson. Jack

Jason Tuinstra
07-05-2004, 6:44 PM
Mac, nice piece. The finish turned out great.

John Shuk
07-05-2004, 7:01 PM
Mac,
Very nice piece. I just love classic American furniture. :D

John Miliunas
07-05-2004, 7:49 PM
Very neat looking piece and great attention to detail, Mac! I, of course, would not have know a sugar chest from a sea chest until this post, either! :rolleyes: Thanks for the info and pic! :cool:

Dennis Peacock
07-05-2004, 9:44 PM
Looks real good there Mac.!!! Nice work and great attention to detail. Thanks for posting the pics and the lesson of its history.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-06-2004, 12:14 AM
Mac......Looks good! I like the detail and finish!

Daniel Rabinovitz
07-06-2004, 11:40 AM
Mac
It looks really terrific!
Daniel ;)

John Olson
07-06-2004, 1:54 PM
You did a nice job on that box Mac. I would love to see some pictures of it opened. The history lesson add to the piece a lot.