PDA

View Full Version : My computer is talking to me.

Lee Schierer
02-09-2009, 7:53 PM
I learned something new tonight. I'm not sure how it got turned on, but suddenly my computer started talking to me. Every keystroke was spoken by the computer as I typed and everything on web pages was spoken as the cursor floated over it. Apparently there is a program called Microsoft Narrator for people with vision problems that will allow them to set up their own computer and use it. It is really odd having your computer say every letter as it is typed. When I paused, a couple of windows opened that explained the program and one that allowed me to exit the program.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Bob Rufener
02-09-2009, 8:17 PM
I was curious so I did a search and found that my computer (my operating system is XP) has the narrator program. I didn't set it to operate but it is interesting to know I have it. I have a good friend who is visually impaired and hasn't been able to work for about 10 years. I'll pass the information on to him as he may be interested in using it.

Matt Meiser
02-09-2009, 8:28 PM
Lee, step away from the keyboard! :eek:

I think there's some combination of keypresses that turns it on--my daughter used to do it all the time. She'd also turn on StickyKeys which is set by pressing Shift 5 times in a row.

Dustin Cranford
02-09-2009, 8:28 PM
I type to fast for it. It can't seem to keep.

David DeCristoforo
02-09-2009, 8:32 PM
Most of the "accessibility" applications (like the voice over you "found" or magnifiers and zooms) can be invoked by keyboard "shortcuts" to make them easier to turn on and off. It is not uncommon for someone to accidently hit those particular key combinations, unintentionally launching the applications.

Brian Effinger
02-09-2009, 9:10 PM
I'm not sure how it got turned on, but suddenly my computer started talking to me.

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/hal9000wallpaper.jpg

Sorry, I just couldn't resist! :D :D :D

Brad Wood
02-10-2009, 11:13 AM
"Dave, what are you doing"
"daisy daisy, i'm half crazy"

Paul Atkins
02-10-2009, 11:37 AM
My Mac has voice recognition in addition to 'speech' which will let you operate it by voice. - a function my wife says is spooky. I guess I have to agree since I have it turned off - I think. You talking to me?

Chris Padilla
02-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Lee, do you see dead people, too? :eek:

Lee Schierer
02-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Lee, do you see dead people, too? :eek:

Only ones who suggest that I'm losing it......:D