PDA

View Full Version : Leigh jig - half blinds plywood chip out question

Sean Rainaldi
02-09-2009, 7:39 PM
I'm milling half blinds on ¾” Baltic birch.

I'm wondering how I would prevent chip out on the tails...

The side stop only protrudes about 1/8 inch from the jig body, and if I want to place a backer block behind the tail board to help prevent chip out on the veneer, only the backer board and not the tail board will be aligned to the side stop. So then if I set it up that way the tail board does not have that side stop support. Is that a problem - would it cause the tail board to spin a bit out of alignment?

How do you experienced Leigh jig guys use a backer board to prevent chip out in this situation?

Steve Rozmiarek
02-09-2009, 9:35 PM
Sean, maybe I'm misunderstanding you, are you talking about stacking the two boards, both under the same clamp? This would cause problems. I just clamp the backer under the other clamp, so that the boards meet perpendicular to each other. You will have to change backer boards pretty often, but it works. Climb cut the front side to keep the front from chipping.

Sean Rainaldi
02-09-2009, 9:37 PM
Sean, maybe I'm misunderstanding you, are you talking about stacking the two boards, both under the same clamp? This would cause problems. I just clamp the backer under the other clamp, so that the boards meet perpendicular to each other. You will have to change backer boards pretty often, but it works. Climb cut the front side to keep the front from chipping.

Yes exactly. I'm talking about clamping the tail board on top of a backer board (both vertical), so that the backer board will prevent veneer chip out on the half blind dovetails - tails board.

I get it though, I'll try that out don't know why I did not see it that way,