PDA

View Full Version : Where to find "uncopyrighted" safety rules?

Matt Hutchinson
02-09-2009, 6:48 PM
Hello all! It's been a while since I have posted. Been watching from time to time though. :)

I am preparing to teach a spindle turning course at Woodcraft. I was hoping someone might know of a good link to safety rules that I could use freely without worrying about copyright issues. I really like the rules set forth in every Craft Supplies catalog, and something equivalent is what I am looking for.

I think that just talking about safety isn't thorough enough, and I wish to give students a handout to reference in the future. Thanks!

Hutch

RL Johnson
02-09-2009, 7:11 PM
You might try the AAW website.
http://www.woodturner.org/resources/safety.cfm
Although their safety rules are for general lathe operations, they also apply to spindle turning.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-09-2009, 9:42 PM
I found some interesting safety rules here:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/util/resource_center?Args=

Eric Magruder
02-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Matt,
Give Craft Supplies a call and tell them what your up to, they seem like a group of pretty nice people to work with, and since your training new customers they may give you permission to use their material and send you some catalogs to boot.

Cheers

Paul Atkins
02-10-2009, 1:46 AM
Copyrighted safety? This should be in common use. Public domain. General welfare. Required reading. Take two and call me in the morning. Don't leave home without it. Do not operate heavy machinery till -------

David Walser
02-10-2009, 1:58 AM
Matt,
Give Craft Supplies a call and tell them what your up to, they seem like a group of pretty nice people to work with, and since your training new customers they may give you permission to use their material and send you some catalogs to boot. ...Yes, the folks at CSUSA are good people and might be willing to allow use of their materials (with attribution, of course). And, yes, they might be wiling to provide catalogs, etc. However, given that the course is being taught at Woodcraft, perhaps Woodcraft's owners might object to having their competitor's materials distributed to their customers? Just a thought.

Steve Schlumpf
02-10-2009, 8:06 AM
Matt -the Woodcraft site has section for articles - and just so happens that one of those would apply. See if this helps: http://www.woodcraft.com/articles.aspx?articleid=239

Roger Wilson
02-10-2009, 12:39 PM
I am preparing to teach a spindle turning course at Woodcraft. I was hoping someone might know of a good link to safety rules that I could use freely without worrying about copyright issues. I really like the rules set forth in every Craft Supplies catalog, and something equivalent is what I am looking for.

Here is a nice set of rules for the lathe (down at bottom) and the shop generally. It is from Tufts University. Universities are pretty flexible about sharing stuff. You might contact them to ask whether you can use the rules as written in a small class.

http://ase.tufts.edu/mechanical/shop/classes/me1/safety.html

You might also contact Craft Supplies and ask them if you can use their safety rules.

In both cases you are not making money off of the rules just passing them out as info so, I don't think you'd get much pushback.

Matt Hutchinson
02-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Yeah, the whole idea of copyrighted safety rules seems strange, but on a number of sites I found a the big circled C.

Of course, I left this to that last second, so even though I called Craft Supplies, I didn't get a call today. But I will keep the links you sent me, especially the Woodcraft one.

I covered all the safety issues in class without worksheets, and things went well. Thanks all for the help! :)

Hutch

P.S. For some reason when I was searching for this stuff, I wasn't able to find anything as good as what you all posted. Maybe I wasn't using a good search string. :rolleyes:

Wally Dickerman
02-11-2009, 12:00 PM
The AAW lists 20 saftety rules for woodturning. You'll find them on their website. They are there for you to use and to pass on to students if you're teaching.

Wally