PDA

View Full Version : Pre Purchase Info.

Michael Britton
02-09-2009, 6:11 PM
Hey all, My first post with a few questions and many more to come. I'm considering purchasing a CNC router. Specifically the the Shark Pro. Being very new to the woodworking scene I'm needing as much info as I can find. I have been over every link I can find and I'm still not satisfied with what I know. So here it goes.

1. How important is dust removal to the project? If a project gets a lot of dust and shavings does it effect the qualitly of the finished project.

2. How difficult is it to reposition the shock to continue a long project?

3. How much work is needed after the project is completed to make it ready for a finish?

4. Is there anything other than a laptop, router, and bits that is needed to get the Shark Pro up and running?

5. What software in addition to the software that is included does everyone recommend?

6. What is the overall demensions of the Shark?

7. Should I consider a Romaxx and purchase the software seperately?

Thanks,
Mike

Kenneth Hertzog
02-09-2009, 8:27 PM
Michael

I own a shark pro.
for what I do the machine is all I need
the table is 24 wide by 30 deep but it is open ended so length is
as long as you feel comfortable with. I've done 6 foot long signs
If you use the Mach3 program that comes with the shark it will require
a HIGH SPEED usb port. It will NOT function without highspeed.
As for dust removal it is always a good thing but since I have a habit
of standing and watching to be sure all is OK I have the vacume in hand.
will try and answer all your questions if I can.
ken

James Jaragosky
02-09-2009, 8:54 PM
Hey all, My first post with a few questions and many more to come. I'm considering purchasing a CNC router. Specifically the the Shark Pro. Being very new to the woodworking scene I'm needing as much info as I can find. I have been over every link I can find and I'm still not satisfied with what I know. So here it goes.

1. How important is dust removal to the project? If a project gets a lot of dust and shavings does it effect the qualitly of the finished project.

3. How much work is needed after the project is completed to make it ready for a finish?

4. Is there anything other than a laptop, router, and bits that is needed to get the Shark Pro up and running?

5. What software in addition to the software that is included does everyone recommend?

6. What is the overall demensions of the Shark?

7. Should I consider a Romaxx and purchase the software seperately?

Thanks,
Mike
Welcome Mike.

1. How important is dust removal to the project? If a project gets a lot of dust and shavings does it effect the quality of the finished project.
I am new to this as well but I have not noticed any quality difference between projects that I have had the dust removal system working over the ones I have not. But without the dust removal working it only takes a small project to coat the entire 500 sq ft of shop in a fine layer of dust.

This would be very difficult to do on a 3D project, the margin for error is in the ten thousands of an inch. the process's would be easier on a 2d project, but not by much. This is not to say it cannot be done with some proper planning and accurate measurements.

This depends on a lot of things.
But for me the main things to consider are.

Quality of the material used.
How sharp is your tool.
Feed speed
Tool speed

Generally speaking with 3d projects, the slower and less aggressive you are, the less sanding you will have to do.

Material.
Just kidding, I do not know anything about a Shark Pro but I would think that is all you will need other than software.

This company makes a good suite at a affordable price.
http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/vcp/vcp_index.htm
their support forum is second to none. http://www.vectric.com/forum/
They also offer trial versions for you to check out, and you get the same great forum service with questions, even if you only have a trial copy.
I recommend aspire from these guys.
but there are many good programs and some are free.

6. What is the overall dimensions of the Shark?
Sorry I can't help you here.

7. Should I consider a Romaxx and purchase the software separately?
I would look at all the posts here for information on opinions that will go over the pros and cons of many machines.
also the cnc_zone.con (without the underscore) is another good source of referance material.
please keep us posted on your search.
Jim J.

Michael Britton
02-09-2009, 9:49 PM
Thanks for the responses, please keep them coming.

As I would like to use the router for longer trim I thought I should ask about the repositioning of the material. I seen several post on here and other sites indicating the max length that can be machined before moving the stock but not one the post mentioned if it was easily possible.

3D cuts would be kept within the limits of the router without moving it. 2d cuts would have be managable on longer stock. As would the ability to cut patterns.

I called Rockler and tech support said someone was doing this by drilling reference holes. I really didn't have a clear understanding how he was realigning the holes after moving the project.

Thanks

Kenneth Hertzog
02-09-2009, 9:58 PM
Michael

3D would be done best if kept within the limits of the machine
so moving the piece would not be necessary.

A reference point would have to be built into your program.
it would leave a little dot at the begining and end
so when you move your stock the end point would then be your
begining point and so on.

ken