PDA

View Full Version : Which one? (edge sander)

David Song
02-09-2009, 5:59 PM
Hi Guys!

Which one out of the three would you go for and why?
Both Grizzly ones are similar price right now.
G0512 has large table but the belt does not rotate to horizontal position(rep states).

1. Grizzly G1140

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g1140

2. Grizzly G0512

http://grizzly.com/products/Edge-Sander-w-Wrap-Around-Table/G0512

3. Something else, model/brand

Thanks!

Dave Novak
02-09-2009, 6:58 PM
Of the two you picked I like the 1140 a little better. I don't know what to think about a wooden table on a piece of equipment I'd hope to own the rest of my life. I've been drooling over edge sanders for some itme now, and sort of have my heart set on the 0564. Primarily because of the oscillation but the second dust port is attractive too. However, it's almost triple the cost, so I may be drooling a long time.

Jeff Duncan
02-09-2009, 7:53 PM
Well since you asked...... my choice would be an Oakley H5, although Wysong & Miles also makes a very nice 'little' sander;)

good luck,
JeffD

John Bush
02-09-2009, 9:26 PM
Hi David, I have the 1140 and it works well for my needs. It is wired for 220 and has lots of power. Bed length could be longer but it is the platen length that is the most limiting at times. I can usually rotate the stock around as needed to get longer pieces nicely edged tho. The single wheel table height adjustment is easier than the PM or Jet design and I raise and lower it to keep the belt from clogging so quickly. Using the big eraser often helps the belts last longer too. There have been earlier threads here that mentioned the stability of the table, but with the stabilizing rod secured it hasn't been a problem for me. The table at the end is OK for inside curves more than ~3" but I have a spindle sander and don't use it much.

I have seen the 0512 at the showroom and the larger table would be nice for larger, lighter pieces. It has the same adjusting wheel on the front as the 1140 but the stabilizer mechanism on the back side has to be loosened independantly. You have to walk around to loosen the bolt, come back to the front to spin the wheel, then go back to tighten the stabilzer. The diameter of the end roller is ~2" so you can sand smaller inside curves and the larger table being at the same height would make that a great feature. IIRC there is no platen on the back side.

Hope this helps in figuring out which machine suits your needs best. I have been happy with the 1140 and would buy it again, except I want the osscilating model now.

Sonny Edmonds
02-09-2009, 10:00 PM
I don't have any edge sanders. I have drooled in the past over the 1140 or, more likely, it's predecessor.
Of the two, the 1140 is the one I would pick if I was of a mind to get one. It seems to be the more versatile.
But a lot depends on WHAT YOU want to do with it.
Remember, it is going to take up a plot of shop real estate. Weigh your use versus the set up and area.

Peter Gregory
02-09-2009, 10:58 PM
I have a Delta, but what I find I use is angling the table, and spindle sanding on the end, in addition to the stand straight edge sanding. A friend showed me to how to use it to fix all sorts of problems and now I do that a lot. Don't think I would get one that didn't have adjustable table, but it wouldn't be that difficult to make a ramp to put on the tabletop. I find that 45 and 90 degrees are most important for me and then 87 or 83 are next. I would have little concern about the wood table, you can always make a new one. :)

You should be a little concerned about dust collection, because mine makes fine dust like nobody's business. :) DC works great on the big belt, but once you start sanding at the other end, it isn't as good.

This is the tool I didn't know I wanted or needed before seeing a friend use his. Just used mine to fine tune the end of a Stickley like bench. I think you will like it.

Quesne Ouaques
02-10-2009, 9:29 AM
I just bought the General International 15-005M1 6" x 89" used from a friend's cabinetry shop. It is very well built machine, and I'm happy with it so far.

By the way, it was a snap to convert it to 110 v. The instructions are printed right on the machine.

george wilson
02-10-2009, 9:55 AM
The G1140 works fine for me. With the flip up top on the dust hood,belt changing is easy. I THINK on some similar Jet models you may have had to remove the dust hood to change belts,though that may have changed.