PDA

View Full Version : Removing Paint from Planes

Joe O'Leary
02-09-2009, 5:36 PM
I have some of my deceased Dad's old planes that have red paint over parts of the black jappaning. I guess he was afraid someone would steal them. Anyway, do you think paint remover would also remove the jappaning?:cool:

Joe

Douglas Brummett
02-09-2009, 6:13 PM
Depends how tenacious the paint is. I had a plane that had interior house paint on it. I was able to use a dremel and soft wire wheel to get it off. The japanning was no worse for the wear. I had to strip and refinish the handles though.

David Keller NC
02-09-2009, 6:20 PM
Joe - Do not use paint remover if you want to keep the japanning. The only kind of paint stripper that's really effective, despite the companies marketing "green" stripper's claims to the contrary, contains methylene chloride. That's a very effective japanning remover.

I would suggest a slightly gentler abrasion approach than Doug noted - use a gray scotch-brite pad. These are sold in Woodworking shops as "ultra fine synthetic steel wool". I've also had good luck with a bit of very carefully applied laquer thinner - slightly dampen an old t-shirt with it, and use it on the paint-covered areas only. Laquer thinner, if applied in sufficient amounts, can dull the appearance of the japanning.

Bill Houghton
02-09-2009, 6:29 PM
The soap lubricates the steel wool and makes it less aggressive, and, often, very effective.

You could, of course, see it as part of the plane's history and leave it; but this is a personal judgment.

Joe O'Leary
02-09-2009, 7:55 PM
Bill, the red is, ummm, pretty awful. Think I'll give David's idea a try. I'll try to post pics.

Joe

Justin Green
02-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Did people paint with their planes back then? Every single plane I've bought has white paint on it in one spot or another. Oh, forgot the paint brush, let me whip out the #8 and go to town...???

Ron Petley
02-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Got that right can't buy a plane without paint on it. Someone sugested that they used them to hold down paint drop cloths, I like the cutting in the trim with a #4 and hey no wash up later, smoke em if you got em.
I soaked my last one with citric acid for 2 days and the paint came off with some scraping with a screw driver, japaning in tact, well as intact as when it went in. Cheers Ron.