PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail class

Tom Godley
02-09-2009, 5:00 PM
I took the two day class at The Philadelphia Furniture Workshop this past weekend on hand cut dovetails. This class was taught by Mario Rodriguez who just happens to have an article in the current issue of Popular Woodworking on the subject.

The class was a lot of fun - plus I was able to cut my first dovetails!

How can I frame them :)

The class directed me to what tools I may need -- and more importantly what tools I do not need! Allen -- who is a member here -- was also teaching and has a wealth of information on tools.

I am eyeing the workbench class this summer -- If I can find a week!!

Jim Becker
02-09-2009, 8:26 PM
'Glad you had a good class, Tom! Isn't PFW great? :) Alan is a super guy and an accomplished woodworking artist, IMHO. Mario? What can you say? He's outstanding.

Tom Godley
02-10-2009, 9:35 AM
Jim - your name did come up!

They have a lot of classes - I may also take the one day "sharpening class".

12 people in the class -- A few people came down from New York -- some from northern New Jersey.

Really got me up to speed quickly!

Dave Anderson NH
02-10-2009, 12:58 PM
I've not taken a class at PFW, but one weekend when I was visiting Alan he convinced me to sit in and watch Mario teach a basic Cabinet class. I've seen and had the opportunity to watch a good number of top woodworkers teach classes over the years and I would rate Mario near, if not at the absolute top of the list. He has the gift of pushing peoples skill levels upward without them even realizing that it's happening. He is also phenomenally well organized and in control of his class. You had a great opportunity, I hope you can find time for the workbench class.

Thomas Kila
02-11-2009, 2:14 AM
I would love to take a class from Mario, but Pennsylvania is so far away from the middle of the Pacific (sigh...). :o Congrats on your enviable experience!

Jim Becker
02-11-2009, 11:22 AM
'Could very well be worth the cost of the flight and enduring 8 hours of jet lag, Thomas! :)