PDA

View Full Version : Moving Tools

Dustin Powers
02-09-2009, 5:00 PM
Hello,
Thanks to Mike Spanbauer's reply to a jointer question yesterday I started checking out Craigslist and it looks like I may be purchasing some used woodworking tools! A few hours away from me I found a good deal on 17" bandsaw, rigid jointer, and rigid planer. The jointer planer and bandsaw are from two different people. I'm sure I will need to make two trips to purchase this stuff but what is the best way to haul it. I have a Colorado pickup truck so it should fit in the bed but what precautions should I take since the equipment is already fully assembled? Thanks for the help!

Eric DeSilva
02-09-2009, 5:16 PM
I've moved a bunch of equipment myself with my pick up, a pair of ramps, and an appliance dolly (one rated for big loads with a strap and a stair slide), including a unisaw. Get lots of ratcheting straps for the pick up bed as well--this stuff likes to slide/tip. I tended to secure things to the back of the bed where I could put straps up higher to avoid tipping and the bed itself prevented sliding...

Good luck!

Brent Leonard
02-09-2009, 5:18 PM
Start working out with barbells at the gym......;)

The jointer is heavy, but movable by two people. A shortbox p/u will be easily able to haul those three items. Either lay down the jointer and bandsaw so they don't tip over while on the road, or use GOOD straps and properly secure them. I would lay them down.

Dustin Powers
02-09-2009, 7:10 PM
I was wondering if I could lay the tools down? I think that would be the easiest way to haul them.

Lee Schierer
02-09-2009, 7:22 PM
You want to make sure they cannot move once they are in the bed. Take the table off the band saw so you don't stress the trunions and lay it down. Lay the jointer down. Lay the saw on its side. All tools should be on blocks to keep them from bending knobs, levers, etc. Tie them securely so they can't move in any direction. Gravity alone will not keep them from sliding into teh cab if you stop quick or have to swerve suddenly.

Bryan Rocker
02-09-2009, 8:00 PM
Depending on where they big chunks of cast iron are going you might find a good safe mover to move it for you. They have the equipment to move big heavy things quickly and easily. They put my 20" planer in the basement in just over 10 mins and loaded it up on their lift gate in less than 2 mins.....

Jeff Duncan
02-10-2009, 1:32 PM
The easiest way in my experience is renting a small box truck with a lift gate. Then you can easily get the machines on and off without so much as working up a sweat.
As said before you can get them into a pickup, but it's a bit of work and finesse getting heavy machines in and out without damaging them.
good luck,
Jeffd

Charlie Plesums
02-10-2009, 3:55 PM
Bandsaws like to lie on their back. I have seen many moved with the table on, including my MM24 which weighs about 1000 pounds.

Ray Newman
02-10-2009, 3:59 PM
Read what Jeff Duncan said.

When I bought my Unisaw in 1986, I rented a pick up w/ a lift to bring it home. Dealer put it on the truck w/ a fork lift. Backed into the gargage & unloaded it from the lift about 2' from where it was to finally placed. Took maybe 20 minutes to unload & finally position it.

Dustin Powers
02-10-2009, 5:23 PM
Well that was my next question actually. I also see a great deal on a Delta Unisaw with a 52" biesemeyer fence. Unfortunately the jointer got away from me. The tablesaw is about 4 hours away but sorta in the same direction as the bandsaw. Would I have to rent a truck to do this?

Bob Rufener
02-10-2009, 5:42 PM
A Unisaw is not light. When I bought mine, I rented a trailer with a drop down rear ramp that worked out just fine. The unisaw was on a mobile base so three of us were able to move it up the ramp with no problem. When I got it home, I put it on a small trailer that I have and my brother and I were able to move it to the back of the house where I have a patio door entrance to our basement. I would suggest, if you have a trailer hitch on your Colorado, get a trailer so you don't have to lift too high. Bring some padding and ratchet straps to secure it.