PDA

View Full Version : This weekends Cherry Harvest

Joe Meirhaeghe
02-09-2009, 5:00 PM
Here's some Cherry a couple of friends & I harvested last friday.
There 10 real nice pieces, 8 of them about 20 to 23" dia. X 3 feet long. & 1 piece about 16" dia. X 3 ft. & 1 piece 25" long X 14" dia. Also got 8 bowl blanks too.
Here's the smallest piece, 25" long X 14" dia. on my Powermatic.:) I got it rough shaped & anchor sealed. I'm not sure when I'll get back to Hollow it. (working for a living just takes up way to much of my time):(
The 8 largest ones will be turned on my friends Robust!!!:D

Richard Madison
02-09-2009, 6:32 PM
Great score Joe. Will be looking forward to seeing some finished pieces, in the fullness of time.

alex carey
02-09-2009, 6:47 PM
I absolutely love it. I can't wait to start doing stuff like this. Nice score.

David Christopher
02-09-2009, 7:48 PM
Thats a great score Joe, and it looks like some beautiful wood

Jim Kountz
02-09-2009, 8:48 PM
Now thats a chunk o cherry!! I really like the initial form you got going there. Id be on pins about that thing drying, hope it works out for you!! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!!

Steve Schlumpf
02-09-2009, 9:10 PM
Congrats on all the cherry Joe! Great form so far! Looking forward to seeing the finished results!

Bernie Weishapl
02-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Congrats on the cherry haul Joe. That ought to keep ya turn'in a day or two.

Joe Meirhaeghe
02-11-2009, 9:49 PM
Now thats a chunk o cherry!! I really like the initial form you got going there. Id be on pins about that thing drying, hope it works out for you!! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!!

Jim
I coverved the whole thing with Anchor seal. After the Anchor seal dried I put it in a plastic bag, then I put it a chest freezer until I'm read to hollow it. This will keep it from cracking until I can get back to it.

Brodie Brickey
02-12-2009, 12:09 AM
Joe,

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Its a beautiful thing to see that wood chucked up. Congratulations on the score.

Jim Koepke
02-12-2009, 2:29 AM
(working for a living just takes up way to much of my time):(

If you think working takes up too much time, try retirement, its 24/7.
Now I can't figure how I ever found time to go to work.:D

jim

Jim Evans
02-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Wow - those are going to be some huge vessels. I'd love to make some of those.
One question - how do you keep the blank from cracking as its sits on the lathe before the hollowing? Does covering the whole blank w/ anchorseal keep it whole?

Joe Meirhaeghe
02-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Wow - those are going to be some huge vessels. I'd love to make some of those.
One question - how do you keep the blank from cracking as its sits on the lathe before the hollowing? Does covering the whole blank w/ anchorseal keep it whole?
Thanks Jim
Yes I seal the whole piece with anchor seal as soon as I finish the outside shape, top to bottom even where it's held in the chuck. If i stop for a pop or lunch I also cover it in a plastic garbage bag until I get back to it. If It will be overnight or a few days before I can get bacdk to it I will take it off the lathe & put it in a chest freezer I have just for this purpose.
Cracking with this method is usually never a problem. (about 95 % effective, not 100%)