PDA

View Full Version : 1st turning in 6 months - Jr Gentleman's II Figured Bubinga Pen

Tim Malyszko
02-09-2009, 3:52 PM
It's been over 6 months since I've had a chance to turn anything. Most of my time has been occupied with work and school and when I do have time to get in the shop, my time has been consumed with flatwork.

Last Friday evening was so beautiful I had to spend some time in the shop, but only had an hour or so from the time I got home and a night out with my wife. I think my lathe has been feeling neglected.

I pulled out one of my the Jr Gent II pen kits that I purchased almost a year ago and never used and a figured Bubinga blank I received from winning one of the SMC free stuff drawings.

40 minutes later, here is what i came up with. The pictures do not do the figured bubinga justice. I finished it sanding it down to 12000 grit using micro mesh and then used the trusty BLO/CA finish.

Thanks for looking. It was nice turning something again.

Dewey Torres
02-09-2009, 4:05 PM
I think the Cherry Bookcase was worth the 6 months.:D

Steve Schlumpf
02-09-2009, 9:24 PM
Great looking pen! Outstanding looking wood! Glad to see you were able to get back on your lathe for a little bit! Good to see you posting again!

Bernie Weishapl
02-09-2009, 11:03 PM
Beautiful pen and out of some beautiful wood. Good to see ya had some turn'in time.