PDA

View Full Version : Wood Lathe and Chairs

Gene Stephens
02-09-2009, 1:44 PM
I'm going to have to buy a wood lathe to build some chairs (and other items). Right now I have a wood working shop - my basement - with the usual assortment of table saws, planers, jointer, band saws etc. However I do not have a lathe. Most of my turning would be related to furniture. From what I have been able to see, about a 42" long bed would be my requirement, longer ones are out of my price range. I don't need a lot of diameter clearance because I don't plan on doing anything like bowls. Just bed and chair spindles. My first need would be some country style straight back chairs. Any ideas on what kind of lathe would work best for me? And where I could get one. I'm close to Nashville Tennessee and got a lot of my tools from General Industrial Supply. Also when you look at a chair leg, the diameter is the same all the way up and down the leg. How would one get a smooth even diameter like that? I'm in my fifties and the last time I used a lathe I was about 20 years old, made some mugs and ash trays, things like that.
thanks,
Gene in Tennessee

David Christopher
02-09-2009, 1:51 PM
Gene, what price range are you looking at

Gene Stephens
02-09-2009, 2:35 PM
Well I found a Jet lathe with 42" bed somewhere in the $1200 - $1400 range.

David Walser
02-09-2009, 2:37 PM
Gene,

For what you want to turn, consider an "inexpensive" starter lathe or a good used lathe. For starter lathes, consider the Jet 1236 or its Harbor Freight clone. Here's a link to the Jet: http://woodworking.jettools.com/Products.aspx?Part=708352&cat=333132 and the HF: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34706

These lathes don't have the 42" between centers you said you wanted. However, most furniture spindles can be turned on the Jet 1236. If you really need more length, consider Harbor Freight's upgraded version of their 34706 (above). This upgraded lathe has 43" between centers and an additional two inches of swing, but it costs twice as much as its smaller brother. Here's the link: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34706 Many of us started turning with the HF 34706. I still use mine for longer spindles that won't fit on my short-bed Woodfast.

As for how to turn such long spindles, you'll want to invest in a "steady". You can make one yourself, but here's a link to show you an example: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Lathes___Band_Saws___Attachments___Spindle_Steady_ __spindle_steady? (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Lathes___Band_Saws___Attachments___Spindle_Steady_ __spindle_steady?Args=)Args= (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Lathes___Band_Saws___Attachments___Spindle_Steady_ __spindle_steady?Args=)

HTH

George Clark
02-09-2009, 2:43 PM
Gene,

Here is my suggestion. I have used this lathe is two different turning classes. I think it is a good value. Happy turning.

http://www.amazon.com/708359-JWL-1642EVS-Horsepower-Electronic-Woodworking/dp/B00064NGRE/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1234208319&sr=8-1

George

Thom Sturgill
02-09-2009, 3:38 PM
If you are making chair legs (as opposed to heavy table legs) you might also want to consider the Jet 1220 with a bed extension. Will cost about the same for the VS model as the JWL1236 and gives you the 42" c-c length, and 3/4hp 115v motor.

You can start off cheaper by just getting the 1220 and adding the extension later. Do not forget to get a spindle steady when you go to the longer legs.

Bernie Weishapl
02-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Gene I have the Jet 1220 with the bed extension. I repaired some chairs for my Sis and had to make a couple of legs with no problems. I agree with getting a spindle steady for the long ones. I got the oneway and it works slick.

Gene Stephens
02-10-2009, 10:17 AM
WOW! there sure is a lot of activity on this discussion board. Thanks for all the advice. I may get one of the smaller Jet lathes as a starter and work my way up. I have already gotten a ton of ideas from just browsing around on this location.

One more question - Chair legs, especially country chairs may not have a lot of decorations. Most of the spindles will be something like 2" in diameter with a little decoration on top of the post. Is there anything out there that would make it easier to be able to turn a diameter the same all the way up and down the post? Other than just eyeballing it. I know that I can turn a little, check the OD and then turn some more and I guess gradully work your way down the post this way. If anyone is familar with engine lathes, there is a cutter that can be hand cranked down the length of the part to make sure the diameter is the same. Is there a variation of this for wood lathes?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Gene,

For some lathes you can buy a duplicator that will do what you want. Unless you find a used for sale on Craiglist, these type of lathes are expensive.

It's actually quite easy to turn to a given diameter using a spindle roughing gouge or a skew. With a little practice with a skew, I can turn a spindle to a given diameter in a few short minutes. You could too.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-10-2009, 10:45 AM
You make yourself a "gauge" out of say a piece of plywood. It would look like an open end wrench with the end say 2" if that was the diameter you wanted. You turn and then just apply the gauge to see if it's at the diameter.

George Clark
02-10-2009, 7:57 PM
Gene,

I'm fairly new to this sport myself. For a long constant diameter spindle after I rough it round I use a parting tool or bedan to cut a series of groves to the proper diameter several inches apart. I then work between the groves to bring the spindle down to the proper diameter. Much easier for me than trying to do the entire spindle. As Ken said wrenches (metal or wood) make great calipers.

George

Gene Stephens
02-12-2009, 8:21 AM
Thanks to all who have viewed and thanks to those who have replied. This is a good wood working site!

I have been looking at lathes. I have kind of thought about starting with the one at Harbor Freight. The one I looked at is 98676-1VGA. It has enough distance and power to turn chair legs - I think. It is not too terribly expensive for a starter lathe. I called the Harbor Freight store here in Clarksville but they did not have one and could not get one in. I emailed Harbor Freight on line to try and find the closest store to me that would have one - but they could not help me?? Said the online business and store business were two separate units. Any ideas on how to deal with Harbor Freight? I can have it shipped to my door but I sure would like to see it first.
Gene

Quinn McCarthy
02-12-2009, 8:52 AM
Gene,

Take a look at the vega lathes. The great thing about vega is you get 53" between center. Some of the rockers I am looking at making have 47" posts. I have had mine for 5 years and it is a great machine. You can find one used right now in your price range. Like the other have mentioned make sure you get a steady rest. Vega makes that as well.

Hope that helps.

Quinn

Dana Berenson
02-13-2009, 6:42 AM
See if you can find a duplicator first, then find a lathe that is compatible. Trying to reproduce a given profile on 4 pieces of wood can prove to be VERY STRESSFUL.

Don't be surprised if you end up turning bowls down the road.
(Don't use the duplicator for bowls though ;-)

Gene Stephens
02-13-2009, 11:56 AM
When can I find a used lathe?

David Walser
02-13-2009, 2:22 PM
When can I find a used lathe?
Gene,

If you are asking where you can find a used lathe, start with the classifieds on Sawmill Creek and the other woodworking forums on the net. Then, expand your search to Craig's List and Ebay. If there is a turning club in your area, see if it's possible to post a note that you are looking to buy a lathe. Many turners have more than one lathe and have not sold their "extra" 'cause they didn't want the hassle of trying to sell it. Finally, check to see if there is a store that sells used equipment in your area. While I mentioned those sources in "order", I wouldn't buy until I'd gotten to the end of the list. Checking the internet sources is easy and quick. The other options may require more effort, but they'll be more fruitfull if you've come to understand more about the market for used lathes. For example, a used Delta at the used equipment dealer might seem like a good buy -- unless you know similar lathes sell for half the price on Craig's List.

If you are asking when you can find a used lathe, that's a really good question. Sometimes they seem to be in abundant supply. Other times they seem fairly scarce.

Good luck!

Gary Max
02-13-2009, 2:44 PM
Heck----you already answered your question---General Industrial Supply
They have to be some of the best folks in the country to buy machines from.
Stop in and talk to Tim and have him keep a eye out for a good used Lathe.
No I don't work there.

charlie knighton
02-13-2009, 4:28 PM
Gene

Well I found a Jet lathe with 42" bed somewhere in the $1200 - $1400 range.

if you can swing the jet, go with it, i have the jet 1642 evs and love it, i also have a delta with 42 lenght with 14 swing, it is for sale, pm me for details if interested i am in virginia, the jet is a great machine, and if you are in your 50's you could turn with it for many years