PDA

View Full Version : How do I attach this?

Dave Anthony
02-09-2009, 1:34 PM
I'm building an entertainment center out of 3/4" cherry ply, with solid wood edging that is 3/4" square. The center section is a box that is roughly 20" square, that will have adjustable shelves. The plans call for a second piece of 3/4" stock screwed to the inside vertical edge banding of this box. This is a design element, so that it matches the width of the corner styles, and needs to be removable so the shelves can be removed, added, adjusted, etc. I got what I thought were attractive black square pt screws, and my wife took one look and said "the screws aren't going to show, are they?" So how do I attach this without glue or screws? I considered rare earth magnets, but that seems like a bad idea around electronic equipment. Dowels might work, but I'd have problems drilling accurately since the edge banding is already glued on. Any ideas?

Alex Shanku
02-09-2009, 1:40 PM
Picture or drawing would be helpful.

Peter Kuhlman
02-09-2009, 1:41 PM
If I understand correctly, you are just referring to the 3/4" hardwood trim you are attaching to the front of these plywood panels. If so, magnets should be no problem. They really only affect the older media like video tape, floppy disks. DVDs and CDs are quite immune to low level magnets. You would only be using something like 1/4" rare earth magnets and would only take 2 or 3 per trim board. You could do this with the Festool Domino - only requires the $850 tool though :) .
Pete

Chip Lindley
02-09-2009, 2:22 PM
Shelves should be fully adjustable without removing part of a *faceframe*! Most shelving is adjusted by tilting at an angle to allow clearance through the opening. Perhaps you should re-think your design, and understand how most shelving is added, subtracted, or adjusted.

Dave Anthony
02-09-2009, 2:31 PM
Sorry for the bad pics, but I think you can get the idea. If small magnets won't cause interference problems, I think maybe I'll just drill holes in each piece w/a fostner bit & glue them in place.

Alex Shanku
02-09-2009, 2:45 PM
Tilting the shelf at about a 2* angle would most likely allow you to remove it.

I dont know why they have to be removable?