PDA

View Full Version : padauk stability

Jeff Clow
02-09-2009, 12:41 PM
I have 2 questions about the stabliity of Padauk. I am looking at some boards to make the top for a dining room table. They are 16" wide by 12' long, 4/4.

1. Gluing up 3 widths to make approx 48" wide, how likely are the wide boards to move, warp, cup, etc.

2. The boards are available now, but I am not availble for this project for probably a year or so. If I store these, inside, heated/air conditioned, how likely are they to stay like they are...relatively straight, flat, unchecked?
They are kiln dried, planed both sides.

Thanks
Jeff

Steve knight
02-09-2009, 12:57 PM
padouk as long as it is dry is pretty stable more so then most American woods. letting it sit will take care of it.

Jason Perrott
02-09-2009, 1:37 PM
Padauk is very stable, especially if dried proper. Think of it like white oak, only that it is harder. Will be a beautiful top. Be sure to use a water based uv protective finish if you want to keep that great color when freshly cut/sanded. If you use oil based it will darken considerably over time, like cherry does when exposed to uv rays.

Make sure and post photos when done!

Jason

Jeff Clow
02-09-2009, 3:09 PM
The wood I found is absolutely beautiful! It actually has some nice grain character, unlike most Padauk which has mostly straight grain. It also has a very deep color, so the UV blocker , I think, is a must.
I will take pictures, but they are a long way off. There is so much ahead of this project, we are talking a year or more. Thats why I inquired about storage.

Jeff

Tony Bilello
02-09-2009, 3:37 PM
It machines exceptionally well especially when you consider it is heavy and dense. You will enjoy working it. I would suggest wearing long sleeves when sanding. It is the only wood that I have found that I am slightly alergic to. I just get itchy and sometimes some small rashes on my arms which go away in a few hours.
If it was dried properly, it should remain very stable indoors.
I have tried marine varnishes with lots of UV protection on some pieces but I didnt notice any difference between that and clear lacquer over a period of a few years. As the wood darkens slightly over the years it remains a magnificent color. It slowly changes to a coffee bean brown with red highlihghts. If you want that 'red' again, just strip it, sand it and apply finish again.
You also might want to consider using the padouk for the top only and make the legs and apron a different wood. Topo much of a good thing can take away from the overall look.

Jim Solomon
02-09-2009, 3:41 PM
Jeff,
The only other recommendation I can make is to try and store the boards flat. For that length of time before use I would not store them upright(leaning against a wall). I'm lucky to have a high school friend that has his own portable saw mill and kiln, so I get wood really cheap from him, Cherry, QS white oak, sassafras, elm, and other species native to SW Pa. Sometimes I get greedy:o and purchase more than I need. Not having the storage space I leaned quite a few QSWO boards and all developed a bow along the length. That being said, I never had a problem storing them that way for a month or less. But with the beautiful wood you have I would try not take a chance.
Jim

Chris Padilla
02-09-2009, 3:47 PM
Storing 12' is not too easy for most hobbyists I think but I'm with Jim: store it flat and allow gravity to help keep it flat. Besides, it it going to be flat for a table for most of its life...might as well get it used to it!!

Also, you'll see over time if anything changes (hopefully it won't). Better to let it move around for a year than move around more once it is a table.

Brian Effinger
02-09-2009, 7:39 PM
Since no one has said it, I'll be the smart alek that does... :rolleyes:

That wood will just go stale sitting there, so you should just get rid of it. I don't want to, but I'll be a good guy and take it all for you and dispose of it properly :p

Jeff Clow
02-10-2009, 8:38 AM
Thanks, everyone, for the info. I'm glad to hear that it should store well. I have done some things in Padouk, but have not seen boards of this size & with such beautiful grain! I had kicked around the idea of making a table out of Padauk (the wife loves the look of Padauk), these boards have convinced me to do it!

Brian, I'm willing to take the chance on the wood getting stale....actually doesn't wood get better with age, kinda like a fine wine?

I haven't purchased the wood yet, so to take it off my hands, you would have to go purchase it yourself. So much for talking me into a freebe.....I think I can dispose of it on my own, but thanks for the offer! If I notice it getting stale, I'll be sure to let you know!

Jeff

Mike Cutler
02-10-2009, 9:04 AM
Jeff

I am currently building a Limbert design, trestle style table/cooktop out of Padauk.
I have been collecting the padauk over the last 2-3 years as it became available in the thicknesses I was looking for 6/4 and 8/4. Two of the padauk boards are 6/4, 32" wide and 7' and 9' long respectively. The rest are/were 8/4,10' long, 12"-15" wide. It is very heavy stuff!
All of this padauk was stored in a non climate controlled garage in New England, on a rolling cart.

I began milling the wood a few weeks back when the temps were in the teens and 20's. There was a little stress relief, but nothing really outrageous.
Store it flat if you can, or on edge with the boards clamped to each other, and the growth rings opposing and you should be fine. Don't store it upright, unsupported, leaning against a wall.