PDA

View Full Version : Festool question

Dar Lounsbury
02-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Are there any discounts toward Festool products with any vendors? I am in the market for a CT33 vacuum. The package, as desired, will be $900+. Would like to soften that a bit, if I can.

TIA, Dar

Ben Davis
02-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Are there any discounts toward Festool products with any vendors? I am in the market for a CT33 vacuum. The package, as desired, will be $900+. Would like to soften that a bit, if I can.

TIA, Dar
Exceedingly unlikely. The only time I've seen "Festool" mentioned with "Discount" is when their products are listed as an exception.

Someone will be quick to point out that you do receive a discount when you purchase package deals. TS55 + CTxx for $xxx will be less than purchasing each individually. However, the savings is typically nominal (5%). If you find a sale, let everyone here know.

george wilson
02-09-2009, 12:28 PM
I like my Fein just fine. I had 2 at work,a 9 and a 14 gal.. Have a 9 gallon one at home. It is very reasonably quiet, as powerful as the most powerful screamer,and has the feature of automatic turn on of power tools plugged into its outlet. It also,by luck,can have a 2 1/2" Sears vacuum hose jammed into its inlet. I don't like the smaller dia. hoses,and just use them on portable power tools. Why a vac must cost $900.00 is something I can't see. The Feins cost enough for me.

Now,if they'd only change that orange color...

Chris Padilla
02-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Dar,

Festool has extremely strict control over their pricing. Unless you go to the used tool market, any Festool dealer be it McFeelys, our own Bob Marino (who I highly recommend for his superb CS!), or Woodcraft, you will pay the same price.

I suggest looking at eBay and craigslist for used Festool stuff. There is lots to find on both of those sites.

chris dub
02-09-2009, 12:59 PM
The only discounts are buying used, or finding a good substitute like Fein or Bosch in the case of a vac.

But to the original question, the company doesn't allow it's distributors to discount.

With the new Fein’s having the adjustable suction I would have a hard time rationalizing a Festool Vac at the current price difference.

There are a lot of times that Festools are significantly differentiated from all or most competing products and sometimes not. I would put the vacs in the not category. If you are putting together the entire Festool system and want the continuity that is a different discussion.

Peter Kuhlman
02-09-2009, 1:34 PM
Obviously you are adding quite a few features to the vac to get up to that price - boom arm for one? The Festool vacs are extremely close in price to the Fein vacs. I am referring to the new series Fein vacs with the HEPA filtration. I have both brands and they both have there benefits and drawbacks. Like others have said, look for a used one to get a price break. Sadly more are being sold now with the current economic mess but might work to your advantage.

As to the CT33, which is the one I have, you could save some $ with the CT22. Only difference is the larger bag capacity and the tiny storage bin on the front. If you need the bigger capacity, I would still get the CT22 and hook it up to the Oneida Dust Deputy mini cyclone for about $200. This way, a bag would last for a year or more
Pete

Don Bullock
02-09-2009, 4:19 PM
Exceedingly unlikely. The only time I've seen "Festool" mentioned with "Discount" is when their products are listed as an exception.

Someone will be quick to point out that you do receive a discount when you purchase package deals. TS55 + CTxx for $xxx will be less than purchasing each individually. However, the savings is typically nominal (5%). If you find a sale, let everyone here know.

Dan is quite right. You also need to look at sites like MdFeeley's that "warn" of pending price increases. I'm not sure, but I think they just increased the prices. It's the second one in less than a year.:eek:

Ben Davis
02-09-2009, 6:50 PM
Yep, most of their prices just went up by a couple of percent. Totally crazy given a global market collapse. As they say though, you gotta pay to play.

Seems to me Festool is kind of gouging their customers. The cost of just about everything from plastics to aluminum to steel and electronics have come down substantially. Even the cost of overseas shipping has decreased. Why exactly am I paying more? We're not in the throws of the inflationary bubble we saw last summer when gas was a $4.00 a gall and milk at $5.00.

Brent Leonard
02-09-2009, 9:36 PM
$900+ for a shop vac? Why are you going so cheap? Just spend the money and get something good.

J. Linwood Jackson
02-10-2009, 12:57 AM
OK..I feel I got to chime in here. Seeing as how the orig. poster has not posted back.
-I think he was talking about a tool/vac package deal. come on guys..seriously... a 900 dollar vac?? kinda funny how you guys were making fun of him and stuff for wanting a 900$ vac...and you guys dont even know what the vac really retails for..or what a CT22 or 33 vac is.
-It kills me how people are always trying to get an edge. always trying to lowball the other guy..some how they may feel they are exceptional..and they deserve a break. NO breaks with festool. everyone is the same, at every store, in every state. I love it. I don't however love the prices, but I have over 4k in festools..and never looked back.
-Festool raised the prices..because everything is going up. also...if you guys did your research...the german mark vs the american dollar.:eek:..so that plays a bit into, as well as the old...."cause we can" idea. Festool tools have gained lots of popularity in the US..and they have gone the most( % wise) on the more popular tools. This fuels more research, design, marketing,etc. See: any good business model.

-As for some things festool. you can get the same things cheaper at other places. as for others...you simply cannot find a better product...at any price..other than the festool items. Take a look at the grindings on the 6 or 7 piece drill set, use it a few times, then you will warm up to that 70 dollar price tag quick. Dust collection hoses for 200 though..no thanks.
Look up Smooth-bor, same hose lots cheaper..even have them in a rainbow color too...cool as heck. check out National Pride car wash supply for a goood deal on dust hose, cuffs, and the nozzle. lots of colors and 1.5 and 2" hose.

I guess I am rambling now...didn't mean to insult anyone if I did...just seemed people were a bit misinformed on this 900 vac deal.

Dar Lounsbury
02-10-2009, 5:24 AM
CT 33 = $580
Attachments kit = $205
Hose Garage = $49
Spare filter Bags = $36

Total = $870

OK, not 900 but I not see the free shipping the first time I looked. To me, the only optional thing is the hose garage. I just want it to be one roll around unit.

I will look at the Fein.

J. Linwood Jackson
02-10-2009, 1:34 PM
...and on the other hand...maybe I was wrong. LOL.
Is there any particular reason why you wanted the 33 over the 22? it has a bigger capacity...and that is about it. oh yeah....it has the little storage thing in front.whoopy. I say go for the 22, get the hose garage, get a little upholstery brush and the small crevise tool and you will be sorted. Then in a few weeks..get you some bags. Depending on how much dust you suck up on the regular...it can take a while to fill up a bag. the 22 holds like 5 gallons. that is a good bit.
200 for the acces kit is a bit much.
hey..I am not knockign fein at all here. got some fein tools too, but the CT22 vac is hard to beat. you can't put anything on top of the fein's. When i get done with my sander, saw,,whatever..I usualy sit it on top of the vac for a few minutes. then pick it up when needed.

peep Ebay. people are always selling a vac, at least one every month or two. good luck in your suction crusaide.

Jim Kirkpatrick
02-10-2009, 2:14 PM
In for a penny in for a pound. If you plan on using in the shop an absolute must-have is the boom arm (http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com/product_detail.html?sid=c04c0183df5cb09615c2b1b189 0961a3&pid=492753) and handle (http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com/product_detail.html?sid=c04c0183df5cb09615c2b1b189 0961a3&pid=452921). Unfortunately, you need the handle to mount the boom arm, but no regrets here.

Harry Hagan
02-10-2009, 2:26 PM
Festool does not permit their dealers to discount Festool products. Those caught discounting have lost their Festool dealership.

Dar Lounsbury
02-10-2009, 2:40 PM
The reason the attachments kit is so much is that it includes a larger diameter anti-static hose. Without that, it would be half or less. CT 22 and 33 come with a 1" diameter hose. OK to plug on your sander but as a vac, no. I need this to do both.

Gary Elore
02-10-2009, 4:58 PM
Ya' know - - - - I just can't see where dictating what the retailer charges for a product should be legal or tolerated. Festool, or any other company, has every right to set the price they charge the retailer for the product. When they set the selling price too, that enters into the price fixing arena in my book.

Chris Padilla
02-10-2009, 6:08 PM
Festool is not a monopoly...they can set whatever price they want and make their sellers sell at that price. It sounds fine to me if that business model works for them.

What it does is removes the cost of the item from deciding who to buy it from since the cost is the same everywhere. They emphasize customer service by fixing the price.