PDA

View Full Version : Jackpot #3

Matt Woessner
02-09-2009, 12:13 PM
This weekend while attending the woodworking show in St Louis, I happened to score the Ridgid TS 3660 for $320! I was wanting to buy the new granite topped model, but after looking at it the fence was really cheap and sloppy. I was more impressed with the 3660 and took one home! Plus I got a sweet feather board mag switch and a zero clearance insert.

I was in dire need of a good solid table saw, the ole bench top just can't do it. Pics to come later.

Tim Malyszko
02-09-2009, 1:51 PM
Congats. I too was there and looked at the granite top model also and had the same reaction. The fence was very sloppy and not anywhere near the quality of the TS3660 fence.

I would have rather seen Ridgid stick with the cast iron top and wings and upgrade the fence on the new hybrid than provide a granite top and use a cheap fence.

Enjoy the new saw.

Jerome Hanby
02-09-2009, 2:19 PM
I bought the Incra TSIII Joinery system, so I'm not too concerned with the fence, what did you think of the saw itself?

Matt Woessner
02-09-2009, 2:33 PM
Jerome,
I liked the new saws design better than the 3660, but I think in effort to keep costs low they resorted to a junk fence. The motor being enclosed in the cabinet I think is the way to go, but I just could not pull the trigger on a nice saw with a throw away fence.

Tim Malyszko
02-09-2009, 3:30 PM
I bought the Incra TSIII Joinery system, so I'm not too concerned with the fence, what did you think of the saw itself?

For a hybrid saw, I didn't think it was anything special. I would have liked to give it "test run", instead of just looking at it. I'm sure it's a nice saw, but I would definately upgrade the fence, but with you haveing the TSIII, the fence would not be of a concern.

Jason White
02-09-2009, 4:17 PM
I have the 3650.

You made the right choice.

JW

This weekend while attending the woodworking show in St Louis, I happened to score the Ridgid TS 3660 for $320! I was wanting to buy the new granite topped model, but after looking at it the fence was really cheap and sloppy. I was more impressed with the 3660 and took one home! Plus I got a sweet feather board mag switch and a zero clearance insert.

I was in dire need of a good solid table saw, the ole bench top just can't do it. Pics to come later.

Chuck Tringo
02-09-2009, 7:33 PM
I don't understand why they didn't just stick with the fence on the 3660....its tried and true, people seem to like it, and they already have tooling for it and have produced a great number of them...the general rule in manufacturing is that cost per item goes down with number produced for a while then pretty much levels off barring fluctuations in labor/materials costs, etc.....but a brand new fence, even a crappy one is more money up front, and with the fence being one of the most important pieces that determines the accuracy of a saw, it doesn't make sense to skimp there.

Matt Woessner
02-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Chuck,
You bring up a good point. I even thought of buying the new saw and then find the 3660 fence, but that was not worth it for me. When the 3660 is basically the same saw.