PDA

View Full Version : Accounting Software Recommendations

Ed Hazel
02-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Any recommendations on small buss accounting software? Would like to be able to download CC and bank statements.

I was looking at Quick Books 09 but the reviews on Amazon really rip it up.

Bob Moyer
02-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Any recommendations on small buss accounting software? Would like to be able to download CC and bank statements.

I was looking at Quick Books 09 but the reviews on Amazon really rip it up.

I do accounting for two different companies using two different softwares; the one company likes to see everything that occurs and I actually send them a portable file; for that company I use Quickbooks Pro; the other I use Peachtree; I prefer Peachtree because of the ability to create custom reports and the abilitly to handle some of the other custom needs.

There are pros and cons to both; it is easier to get training in Quickbooks vs. Peachtree; a lot depends on your actual needs.

For the needs you posted they both will do the job.

Paul Atkins
02-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Depends too, if you need payroll support. Quickbooks will charge you another yearly fee for that. They also haven't figured out how to make the Mac version. (Except for loading the virus Windows on it.)

Jim Becker
02-09-2009, 8:05 PM
Quickbooks Pro is probably the most used product in this category, but there are quite a few choices, depending upon what your real needs are. You might want to discuss with your CPA as they may have a preference or a recommendation, too.

Jim Kountz
02-09-2009, 9:08 PM
Quickbooks Pro is probably the most used product in this category, but there are quite a few choices, depending upon what your real needs are. You might want to discuss with your CPA as they may have a preference or a recommendation, too.

Excellent point, I have Quickbooks but my accountant uses Peachtree. We work around it but had I known I probably would have got Peachtree. I have used the guy for years and dont want to get someone else so Im kinda stuck with it for now.

Dave Verstraete
02-09-2009, 11:29 PM
We currently use Peachtree and like it. It is getting more expensive for upgrades since Sage bought it.

Bob Moyer
02-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Depends too, if you need payroll support. Quickbooks will charge you another yearly fee for that. They also haven't figured out how to make the Mac version. (Except for loading the virus Windows on it.)

Upgrades are necessary if payroll is used since the tax rates can change; there is a way tp do this yourself if you know the rates; it really can get complicated if you are dealing with multiple states.

David Duke
02-10-2009, 10:53 AM
I've used Quickbooks for probably close to 15 years now and really like the "feel" of it. As was stated above Peachtree has lots of fans also and Jim B. had an excellent suggestion about talking to your CPA, it could save you both a lot of headaches.

Karlan Talkington
02-10-2009, 11:05 AM
+1 on PeachTree

I used Quickbooks for a while and tossed it based on the troubles I had and their technical support.

PeachTree is definitely more flexible with reports and tech support was pretty decent.

QuickBooks is more popular I will certainly give it that but popularity doesn't always equal quality. Its just a name brand.

IMHO...

Ed Hazel
02-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks for all the responses.

I checked with my CPA he recommends QB pro I am just not excited about buying it when the reviews are so bad.
I called QB and they have a 60 day money back grantee.
I don't need payroll I just want to be able to import my bank statement and CC statements directly into the Accounting software.

Bob Moyer
02-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

I checked with my CPA he recommends QB pro I am just not excited about buying it when the reviews are so bad.
I called QB and they have a 60 day money back grantee.
I don't need payroll I just want to be able to import my bank statement and CC statements directly into the Accounting software.

Ed,

I have been a QB Pro user for 5 years, buy it, use, it; give me a shout if you have any questions. I do acctg. for a company; I need to track expenses for 6 different locations.

I have never had a problem; remember back up, back up and password protect.

Belinda Barfield
02-10-2009, 1:24 PM
I've used QB for about six years now for a small business. QB was our accountants preferred software. I like working in QB and it was very easy to learn.

Bob Moyer
02-10-2009, 1:32 PM
The reasons CPA's like QB; it is easier to import and analyze the files than it is in Peachtree. As I stated earlier; there are more seminars available on QB; plus, there is more available help online.

Tom Godley
02-10-2009, 2:04 PM
I think that QB is recommended because that is what they use the most and Microsoft is Microsoft.

Its like the old saying - "Nobody ever got fired for hiring IBM"

I previously used Peachtree -- the upgrading was always a pain and the payroll integrating was not the best. This may be different today.

When I went with Apple I switched to MYOB (Mind Your Own Business) -- I like it and the payroll is very easy to use.

They all have some quirks IMO.

Craig Kershaw
02-10-2009, 3:52 PM
Quickbooks is a fine product and is highly recommended for small business. However, using quickbooks for inventory is not usually recommended, as quickbooks only supports the calculation of average inventory, not FIFO(first in first out) or other inventory methods. I was at a technology seminar put on by the Maryland association of CPA's, when the topic of inventory and quickbooks came up there was a large groan from the crowd. Peachtree on the other hand handles inventory much better.