PDA

View Full Version : Finish for African Blackwood

Paul Douglass
02-09-2009, 9:45 AM
I just finished turning a pen blank out of African Blackwood. I'm not sure what to use for a finish. I put a coat of Minwax poly on yesterday and it is still real tacky this AM. What should I have used? I'm hoping the Minwax will finally dry or that I can remove it.

George Clark
02-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Paul,

I made some tool handles from African Blackwood and got beautiful results using the Beall Buffing System, no other finish.

George

Ralph Lindberg
02-09-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm with George... my blackwood pen has no finish, just buffed.

Paul Douglass
02-09-2009, 11:47 AM
HUMMMMMMMMM! I wonder if I can take the sticky minwax poly off with mineral spirits. I've got to save this blank, it is too pretty to toss.

Tim Leiter
02-09-2009, 12:02 PM
I had the same problem with African Blackwood and poly. I finally ended up removing the poly with Acetone and then spraying the blank with lacquer. It looks very good and the finish should last.

Bob Hallowell
02-09-2009, 1:28 PM
You can use poly or other oil based finish if you wipe it down with dna and then seal it with shelac. All the rosewoods are very oily and won't let the finish dry. I once waited 2 weeks with no success until I did as I said. Mineral spirits will wipe it right off.

Bob

Wyatt Holm
02-09-2009, 2:38 PM
I have never turned blackwood, but no finish will be good for a pen. If you just buffed it with a rag you could probably get a high shine. If any finish I would say a little wax. Blackwood is dense and oily and handling it will make it shiny.

Bernie Weishapl
02-09-2009, 11:24 PM
I had one of the AB that the finish wouldn't cure. I put it back on the lathe and cleaned the finish off with mineral spirits. I then sanded to 600, micromeshed and then buffed. Came out fine.

Paul Douglass
02-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the responses. I got it cleand up and buffed with a rag. I like it. The wood os reall beautiful. I know I can't tak a picture that will do it justice.

Allen Neighbors
02-10-2009, 7:43 PM
Will a superglue finish not go on AB??
I put CA on Ebony Pens... but I've never turned African Blackwood, so I don't know.
And I may turn it someday, so I need to know.

Bob Hallowell
02-10-2009, 9:01 PM
Will a superglue finish not go on AB??
I put CA on Ebony Pens... but I've never turned African Blackwood, so I don't know.
And I may turn it someday, so I need to know.

I have put a ca finish on many blackwood pens. it works great.

Wally Dickerman
02-11-2009, 11:54 AM
I regularly use an oil finish on A. blackwood finials with no drying problems. Oil finishes, as with most finishes is designed do dry best at around 70 deg. In cold weather I bring my pieces in the house to dry. With the heat off in my shop it's too cool for good drying. If it's below 40 deg. it may never dry.

Wally