PDA

View Full Version : gloat and question

curtis rosche
02-09-2009, 8:37 AM
as an early birthday present i got a grizzly chuck that fits my lathe. i got the grizzly catolog with the chuck, but i didnt see many jaws for the chuck. is there a place to get jaws for the grizzly, like the set for gripping the big end of a bowl to finish the bottom of it., or any other jaws. is there anything that fits these chucks?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-09-2009, 8:45 AM
Curtis,

Why don't you give us the model number of the chuck. That would make a huge difference.

Richard Madison
02-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Curtis, you might check their website. I have two different jaw sets for my Griz chucks, and I'm sure that others were available.

Ken George
02-09-2009, 12:11 PM
I have 3 Grizzly chucks and 1 Vic VM100. The jaws are interchangeable. Vicmarc has a much wider selection of jaws than Grizzly.

Here is the address to the Vicmarc site and page for jaws.

http://www.vicmarc.com/default.asp?contentID=554

Wyatt Holm
02-09-2009, 7:14 PM
I understand that they are a Vicmarc clone. You could also use Oneway talon, and supernova jaws I believe.

curtis rosche
02-09-2009, 7:22 PM
so the jaws are interchangeable. so we know for a fact that vicmarc fits. what about the others?

Bill Bolen
02-09-2009, 8:44 PM
Curtis the vic jaws will fit the 3 1/2" grizz keyed chuck. I don't know if they will fit the tommy bar grizz chuck. Which one did you get?...Bill...

Bernie Weishapl
02-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Curtis I have 3 Grizzly chucks and I have Vicmarc jaws on all of them. If it is the 3 3/4" keyed chuck the jaws from the Vicmarc VM100 will fit it. I can't vouch for the Oneway or Nova.

curtis rosche
02-10-2009, 8:59 PM
i have the tommy bar one that goes onto the 16-3/4 spindle

Wyatt Holm
02-11-2009, 8:07 PM
I know that Oneway talon jaws will fit on Vicmarc 3 1/2" chuck because I have done it. I don't know about Nova chucks though. I want to try it sometime though.

John Frigillana
02-11-2009, 8:25 PM
:o While everyone's got the info machine going what other chuck parts would fit a Tekna Tool Super Nova II.What other Cole jaws could fit? :confused:

Allen Neighbors
02-11-2009, 8:36 PM
You can't just arbitrarily switch jaws between the Nova and Vicmarc and Oneway. You can buy an adapter that will make the Vic jaws fit the SN2 Nova chuck. Something about the indexing gizmo on the back of the jaws not matching.
Nova jaws will not fit Oneway chucks, nor will the Oneway jaws fit the Nova.
Nova jaws are interchangeable with all Nova chucks, with one exception: the Power Grip Jaws for the Titan will not go on the smaller Nova Chucks (but all Nova jaws will fit the Titan).

Bill Bolen
02-11-2009, 8:42 PM
Curtis, I just tried putting the Grizz jaws on a nova g3, no joy...The screw holes in the jaw are too small but the embossment on the back of the jaw seems to fit the nova body ok...Bill...

Don Carter
02-11-2009, 8:50 PM
The Oneway jaws will fit on the Supernova 2 chuck. You do have to remove a travel limit pin on the Oneway jaws but they fit. I just bought Oneway spigot jaws and they fit on the Supernova 2. Bob Hamilton turned me on to this. The reverse of this is not true. The Nova jaws will not fit on the Oneway chuck.

All the best.

Don

Bill Bolen
02-11-2009, 9:04 PM
I know the grizz jaws for the 3 3/4" chuck will not fit the nova g3. Just tried it and the screw holes in the grizz jaw are to small for the g3 screws. The embossment seems to fit though...Bill..

Bill Bolen
02-11-2009, 9:07 PM
The grizzly jaws will not fit the nova g3. The screw holes in the jaw are too small for the g3 screws. The embossment on the jaw seems to fit the g3 groove though...Bill..

Gordon Seto
02-12-2009, 12:25 AM
:o While everyone's got the info machine going what other chuck parts would fit a Tekna Tool Super Nova II.What other Cole jaws could fit? :confused:
I would save the money on the Cole jaws and put it towards the vacuum chucking fund. The DIY version is very inexpensive. Once you tried, you will never go back.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=84279

The Cole jaws has limitation on rim design or those that has become oval, will never handle natural edge. IMO, if you can find a means to reverse chuck natural edge, you can use the same method on regular bowls.

Gordon Seto
02-12-2009, 12:54 AM
i have the tommy bar one that goes onto the 16-3/4 spindle
Don't assume the jaw for one model fits the other model, even within the same brand. Oneway, Talon and Stronghold are not interchangeable within Oneway. Vicmarc also has two standards. Nova is the only brand that has less compatibility problem as Allen pointed out. (with the exception of the now discontinued Nova Compac Model)

The $99 Grizzly that Bernie mentioned was the clone of the 3-1/2" Vicmarc. Don't assume other Grizzly model have the same standard.

Leo Van Der Loo
02-12-2009, 12:59 AM
Oneway and Talon use the exact same jaws, the Stronghold is a much larger chuck and has it's own jaw sets

Leo Van Der Loo
02-12-2009, 1:13 AM
Vacuum chucks have also limitations, as do other setups, but try to turn one of these on a vacuum chuck .

curtis rosche
02-12-2009, 8:01 AM
ok wich jaws to get for the chuck?

Leo Van Der Loo
02-12-2009, 1:11 PM
You read it wrong Curtis, The Oneway chuck and the Talon chuck can use each others jaws, I don't know anything about the Grizzly except the name, never thought much of the quality of their stuff, the price does reinforce that thought.

curtis rosche
02-12-2009, 2:08 PM
so which jaws should i get?

curtis rosche
02-12-2009, 2:15 PM
i was thinking these. they will fit on a nine inch lathe right? : Bowl 220mm jaws
70mm Face Plate Rings Pin 25mm jaws, the standard jaws and the dovetail jaws. how do you order them or find the price for them?

curtis rosche
02-12-2009, 2:19 PM
just saw the prices on packard for the jaws, WOW!!! those 5 jaws would be somewhere in the range of $250!!!! is there somewhere cheaper?