PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
02-09-2009, 8:15 AM
9 Feb 2009

Good Morning,
We are getting ready here for some wet weather but warmer temps. Deffinately warmer than freezing...BUT...we cool down some after this front moves through. I hope everyone has thawed out from the ice that many experienced and even though I like winter, I'm ready for spring now that we've had a couple of days of spring like weather. I guess we are never really satisfied with our weather are we?

Well, I have two more coats of lacquer to put on the top of the walnut kitchen table and it will be done. The owner of the table doesn't want it delivered until it can be used (meaning cured enough to be used for eating and homeschooling on top of), so after the final sanding and coating, I will let it sit in my home for about 2 weeks and then deliver the table. I've done this for 2 other finished products to allow the finish to cure more before delivery. I haven't exactly figured out what I'm going to do once the table is out of my shop, but I believe I'm going to rough out some bowls to get back in the "turning" game of woodworking again. It's been over a year since I've done any serious turning and I miss it.

Gotta go to work today (yes, it's supposed to be my off day today) due to a special project I got assigned 2 weeks ago and we have a consultant coming in to work with me on a data migration project. So....it's off to work for me today.

Church and bass playing on Sunday, the LOML and I took a very short nap Sunday afternoon, spent some time with the family Sunday night. Oh yea, I went to "Winter Jam" on Friday night by taking the family to the concert and the LOML and I are sure glad we took both sets of my ear plugs. It was LOUD! All is all it was a very good weekend and I gotta run and head out to work.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-09-2009, 8:42 AM
Was tied up with family problems over the entire weekend. I managed to surviive with minimal sanity.

I did sweeip out from under my lathe yesterday. Now for the rest of the shop...

Michael Peet
02-09-2009, 8:45 AM
I experimented with some scary-sharpening, with mixed results. The main problem was I didn't have any super-fine grits, so I had to switch over to my 1000/6000 waterstone then strop. I have decided that the strop is a poor polishing step because there seems to be a tendency for the leather to round over the edge. I liked the sandpaper method enough that I have some finer grits on the way.

Also, I flattened a couple plane soles. Still not perfect, but far better than before.

Matt Meiser
02-09-2009, 9:12 AM
My brothers that live out of town came for a visit this weekend. I did get shop time all Saturday morning, then just enough on Sunday morning and Sunday evening and managed to get the finish on the vanity for my daughter's bathroom (Sealcoat followed by Polycrylic.) I'm planning to go out tonight and get all the hardware installed so I can knock that off my to-do list. In addition to being a project I needed to do for home, it is a demonstration project for my club. Due to work travel that kind of fell apart, but the final installment is this month and I said I'd bring the completed project to go over the details.

David Giles
02-09-2009, 9:27 AM
Final glue up on a Roubo bench top and planed the underside flat. Cut and glued the legs. But the highlight was meeting fellow SMC member Tony Bilello and getting a shop tour.

Jim O'Dell
02-09-2009, 9:31 AM
Started out Sat am with a family coming to visit one of the rescue dogs. It went well. About 10 minutes after they left, our company for lunch came. They stayed until 5:00. Had a very good visit, but the day was shot. Sunday, while I was out in the shop LOML comes out and said the family that visited the rescue dogs wanted Charity, and wanted her that day. Seems they had some obligations already for next weekend. So Glenna got all the paperwork together and left a little after 12:00. She got home about 8:15 last night. The people live down west of Austin in a sleepy little town called Hico. But it was worth the drive. The dog they adopted had been with us for over 2 years and desparately needed a home. She is the one that fights with one of our girls.
So a very good weekend. I did get the light reflectors built and up in the assembly/finishing room. Now my back is stiff, and a certain mostly unused muscle in both legs are sore. Now to find some money that is not designated for the cab saw for some lights. :rolleyes: Jim.

Robert Parrish
02-09-2009, 9:31 AM
No woodworking this past weekend. My 97 year old father who was recovering in a re-hab hospital from a broken hip fell and busted his head which required 16 stitches.

Michael Schumacher
02-09-2009, 10:53 AM
I managed to get the very poorly constructed shelves out of the laundry room (previous owner took 1/4 plywood for the shelves and cut 2x4's in half for the framing - very poorly done - just like all the other home "improvements" they did) and replaced it with three shelves from the old garage door replaced over a year ago. Those old wooden/foam core doors make nice 8' wide shelves. For the ends, I took 2x4's and drilled 1" holes spaced 5" - took a small 2x4 with 2 holes to match the 2x4's to be the support for the shelves.

Entertained some friends from church on Saturday night. Went to church Sunday morning and managed to get through 6 boxes of stuff that was in the laundry room and got rid of a bunch of stuff and condensed it down to one box and another box of undecided what to do with - at least my wife did, I was just there for support.

Now to go through and start listing things on Craigslist to get more shelf space in the house/garage.

Michael

Mike Wilkins
02-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Busy weekend. Part of the day doing extra at work to stay on top of things, pluse working on the college-age daughters' income tax. Went to a dinner honoring retired teachers Sat. Spent the rest of the weekend getting my new toy set up: Laguna Pro 1600 sliding tablesaw. Will post pics and a review as soon as I learn how to post pics.

Jim Becker
02-09-2009, 11:21 AM
It was a nice weekend...with some warm air for a change. Saturday was equestrian stuff and I started the tax return. Sunday, after a quick trip to NJ for some odds and ends at the borg, some cheap gas ($1.73) and a quick stop at Fred Voorhee's shop to check out his radiator cover project, I headed into the shop to start my cherry buffet project. A few hours later, I had some basic structure started after spending a lot of time working out some details on the "floor" of the carcass-to-be with a pencil and rules.

Steve Knowlton
02-09-2009, 11:34 AM
I got to spend a good part of the weekend in the shop. Youngest Daughter and her fiance bought pen planks and kits. Glueup the blanks in the morning, let them steup, came back in the afternoon and stated turning. This is the first time Nick had turned a pen. By sunday afternoon he had turned 7pens. They are gifts for his family. Son and couple of his friends also turned pens. His best friend turned a pen for his dad who ships out Iraq soon. I glued up red,white and blue corian for this pen. I now have 5 more people hooked on turning. Great weekend.

Rob Cunningham
02-09-2009, 12:46 PM
I finished running the duct work for the DC.:D Now the shop needs a good cleaning and things put away. Spent some time yesterday in the warm sun getting the crust off the cars. My parents and in-laws came for dinner.
My son got back from Indiana with a promotion to the next belt in Jujitsu.

Dewey Torres
02-09-2009, 1:00 PM
Came to a pause on the Morris chair as my shop is too cold for resin glue to cure, completed my third turning on the lathe, started on a marquetry serving tray, sharpened some tools and geared up for the collaborative box build.

Eric Teague
02-09-2009, 2:34 PM
1. Continued to clean out the garage... Ongoing :)
2. Put a 9" lift under my bench table as it was too low :mad: ($10 thriftstore buy)
3. Made my first turning :D. I picked a piece of scrap 4x4 redwood and turned a body for a new lamp. I even had time to put two coats of Minwax PolyShades (http://www.minwax.com/products/one_step_stain_and_finishes/polyshades.html) on it.

Pics to follow.

Fred Voorhees
02-09-2009, 7:04 PM
Spents quite a bit of time in the shop both Saturday and Sunday fabbing up the pieces that will go into six radiator covers. They are being made in the arts and crafts style and thusly, they will have slats across the front of them. Jim Becker stopped by on Sunday and checked things out and he wondered just home many mortices I needed to bore out and I wasn't sure. Now that I finished the last four rails with mortices today after work, I took a count. Official mortice total........224! Phew!

Ryan Cassidy
02-09-2009, 7:08 PM
Doh! I new I forgot something before I left the house this morning. I finally made some REAL progress on my Blanket Chest. Cherry/Black Walnut, line with Cedar. Now all I have left to do is to apply my finish costs (Arm-O-Seal) and it's all done. I should have taken pictures before I left. It's my first "real" project outside some small tables, kitchen stuff etc etc.

It was a good productive weekend though!

Cheers,
Ryan Cassidy

Sonny Edmonds
02-09-2009, 9:31 PM
Three day weekend for me. (9/80 schedule)
So, Friday it rained quite a bit, but managed to finish up my flooring project in our RV trimming it out.
Visited with our British Friends and laid the plans for a custom bin cabinet for their kids' toys for there new home.
Saturday installed the new air compressor in the RV for the air bags and dodged rain.
Sunday I decided to tackle the shop cleaning and got way deep into it. Since the blasted rain finally appeared to be going to give it a rest, I was able to yank a lot of stuff out. I pitched a lot of odds and ends in the trash can.
Got some pictures for posting for a thread and posterity. And readied for the upcoming projects hanging in the wings.
All in all, the kind of weekend I really enjoy. Accomplished things all 3 days. :)

Eric Teague
02-09-2009, 11:48 PM
Here are the pictures (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1047342)...