PDA

View Full Version : Depression era letter archive now on the web.

Dan Forman
02-09-2009, 1:31 AM
My family has recently put up a website based on the experience of my grandmother and her two children - my mother and uncle - who lived on a small farm in northern Minnesota (near Nevis and Park Rapids) for 2 years during the Great Depression. They corresponded almost daily with my grandfather, who stayed behind in Minneapolis, conducting and eventually driving streetcars, with the plan of moving up and making a go at farming. My grandmother had saved all of the letters, and made copies of them for my mom and uncle back in the late 70's.

My mother, who passed away a few years ago, had worked on putting together a narrative based on the letters, but was unable to find a publisher for it. In the past year or so, my sister decided to begin reworking it a bit, and came up with the idea of creating a website, where the narrative as well as the entire archive of letters could be made available to those who might find it interesting. It turned into a project that the whole family, spanning three generations, has been working on - my sister and I reworking the narrative; my dad (who is in his 80's) editing 740 pages of the typed letters (copies of the originals), which in the process of being transferred to digital accumulated many errors where the scanner misread the original manuscript; and my sisters son, who helped my dad with editing the letters. My sister in law did much of the web design, and my brother made the video of the Christmas Top, a link to which I posted here back in December.

We currently have about half of the content up on the site, hope to have the rest by the end of March. There is the narrative, the letters, photographs, some of Grandma's recipes, a bibliography of books that they read during that period, and more to come. Just last month, we came discovered some of the original letters, mostly in pencil, but some in pen and ink. They will be scanned and put up as well. Included is a prologue and forward, which will set the stage, so no need to say more here. I hope you find it an enjoyable visit to the past.

http://www.deardaddy.com/

The name from the website came from the greeting of the kids letters, which, without fail, started: "Dear Daddy, How are you, I am fine".

Here are a few teaser photo's from the site.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/p20_600.jpg
The cabin they lived in.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/p9_600.jpg

Uncle John Linsley, Ruth Linsley (my mother), and their friend Darrel, on their way to school.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/p37_600.jpg

My grandfather James Linsley in front of his streetcar in Minneapolis.

Dan

jeff begin
02-09-2009, 2:34 AM
Very cool project! I'll have to keep an eye on it. (The recipes are also interesting... the only time I've ever tasted rhubab is when my grandmother used to make rhubab pie... I wonder why it seems to have gone out of style?)

Barry Nelson
02-09-2009, 3:08 AM
What are they carrying in those little buckets?Lunch,milk?

Dan Forman
02-09-2009, 3:33 AM
Jeff--- My grandma used to make the best rhubarb pie, with the lattice crust and all.

Barry--- Lunch buckets of the 5 # honey pail variety. Later on my grandfather sent up some conventional lunch boxes from the city, but the honey pails were what most of the locals used.

Dan

Joe Chritz
02-09-2009, 7:32 AM
Required reading for anyone who thinks things are bad. Often times good and bad is strictly a matter of perspective.

I like the sight, very well done.

Joe

Belinda Barfield
02-09-2009, 8:10 AM
Can't wait to see the site. I'm at work right now but I'll definitely check it out when I get home tonight. My family started a website a couple of years ago, but just general stuff, nothing nearly as interesting as yours though. It has been really fun to connect with distant cousins, share photos, family recipes, etc. You have a wonderful family history to share. Thanks!

Phil Thien
02-09-2009, 8:32 AM
I'm going to love this. Thank you for sharing!

Rob Cunningham
02-09-2009, 8:42 AM
Dan,
Thanks for sharing. My son has a history class project coming up dealing with the depression. This should help him with some good information.

Dan Forman
02-10-2009, 2:00 AM
Thanks for the kind comments, glad you enjoyed the site.

Dan