PDA

View Full Version : Bosch Colt for dovetail jig?

Steve Rozmiarek
02-09-2009, 12:28 AM
Curious if anybody has tried a Colt for jig dovetailing? I have an older 621 that I use for both cuts now, and am thinking about leaving the dovetail bit in the 621, and putting the straight bit in the Colt? I generally hate routers, but the Colt has really grown on me, and I'd like to use it if it would hold up. Thoughts?

Joe Chritz
02-09-2009, 7:37 AM
I thought about doing this very thing and the amount of material to be removed coupled with the overall small size of the colt just didn't seem like a good idea. Several others here confirmed my suspicions.

I expect it would work but a larger router would be a much better choice. Especially if you are doing enough dovetails to want a dedicated machine for them.

Joe

lowell holmes
02-09-2009, 8:53 AM
I have the 621, 610, and the Colt. Your idea would be great in the 610. I think the Colt might be a little light for 3/4" wood.

Charlie Plesums
02-09-2009, 5:25 PM
If you use the Colt, you need a special base plate. I got it when I got my Colt, but have not tried it on dovetails.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-09-2009, 9:49 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I broke a bit last night, and it has me thinking that the forces that must be pretty intense on that lower bearing. Maybe its not such a hot idea. Oh well...