PDA

View Full Version : lathe find and James Swan chisels

Nigel Tracy
02-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm writing because I've been intrigued by a set of lathe chisels that came with a recent lathe purchase (couldn't resist the classified listing--I shouldn't tell you how little I paid for everything in the picture...). The chisels can be seen in the picture below and appear to be a complete original set by James Swan, with "James Swan" and a neat swan logo on each chisel blade.

A bit of googling has revealed that the James Swan Co. produced chisels in the late 1800s and early 1900s and their cabinetmaking tools are held in fairly high regard--right up there with vintage Stanleys.

Given their vintage I don't believe this set could possibly be HSS.

I don't really need the lathe chisels as I already have an assortment of "users" but I just wondered if anyone else has come across or used any of the James Swan turning chisels and what your experiences or thoughts might be.

Jim Kountz
02-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Dont know much about them but congrats on the new lathe and toys!!

Steve Schlumpf
02-09-2009, 12:37 AM
Nigel - Sorry, no help with the Swan tools as I can barely keep up with the modern day brands! Congrats on your new lathe!

Bob Hallowell
02-09-2009, 8:01 AM
I have lots of swan chisels but the are all bench chisels and I love them. That being said I am sure they are great chisels for turning but I like to use hss myself. Someone on the forum who just made a pole lathe was looking for something like those recently so there is a market if you ever decide to sell them.

Gary Herrmann
02-09-2009, 9:10 AM
Swan flatwork chisels are very highly regarded, but I'm not sure that extends to lathe tools - just because they aren't HSS. Carbon steel bench, mortise, firmer etc chisels wouldn't have to be resharpened nearly as much as turning tools.

You might try putting them up on the bay and see if you get any interest.

Nigel Tracy
02-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks very much for the replies guys. I figured as much. I'm thinking that I will keep the set of Swans for the day I build a pole lathe myself :) And in the meantime polish them up and display them-- maybe I'm crazy but they have a certain beauty...

Bernie Weishapl
02-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Congrats on the lathe and tools. I have some swan bench tools that are awesome.