PDA

View Full Version : Large Bowl Blank

Thomas Canfield
02-08-2009, 9:37 PM
Getting a Powermatic 3520B offers the ability to turn larger bowls, but getting a blank is not that easy. My neighbor finally agreed to have the large Sweet Gum tree on our property line cut down 1-20-09, and large sections of wood became available. This is my first attempt at anything this big, and it all went well. I trimmed with my 14" chain saw some and it was fairly balanced when I put it on the lathe and could be turned at about 200 rpm with no vibration. My wife was impressed. It only took about 2 hours after getting the blank mounted, 1 hour for each inside and outside. The rough turned bowl blank , 17" dia, 6 1/2 H x 1.75" Tk weighed 19.87 pounds and has been sealed and put aside to air dry for quite some time. It definitely was wet, but sap was down when cut. I will weigh it again late this summer and track when to work on trying to turn it again. I do have several more pieces of the Sweet Gum that are even larger, but I am not sure about trying that yet.

Craig Powers
02-08-2009, 9:58 PM
Looks great. I've got some sweetgum that also had the dark heart almost all the way through that came out of Nacogdoches county. I've put a piece on my 3520 as well. Beautiful stuff. I think it often gets overlooked.
One of the turners on this site turned a hat out of it.
Here's a link: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99657

Jim Kountz
02-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Looking good there Thomas!! I just recently started turning some larger blanks myself and it is quite rewarding isnt it!!

Eric Magruder
02-08-2009, 11:40 PM
Great job Thomas.

I haven't done anything that large yet, how did you mount hat monster? I'm also interested in your work light, I've seen them in the catalogs and thought about getting one but can you tell me how you have it mounted on your lathe? I have a old mag base goose neck light mounted my 3520 bracket and it's driving me nuts, every time I try to adjust it, it pops off the bracket.

Cheers

alex carey
02-08-2009, 11:49 PM
thats a great piece of wood. Can't wait to see it finished.

Steve Schlumpf
02-09-2009, 12:28 AM
Man - that had to have been a little work mounting that on the lathe! Quite the chunk of wood! Looks like it is going to be a real good looking bowl once it is finished! Glad to hear your lathe handled this monster with no problems!

Kirk Miller
02-09-2009, 2:02 AM
That does it I need a bigger lathe. Nice work Thomas. Be sure to keep us posted on the finished project.

Dewey Torres
02-09-2009, 2:08 AM
Shes gonna be a beauty... just wait!

Jeff Nicol
02-09-2009, 8:45 AM
Thomas, The first week I had mine I mounted the biggest piece of wood I could and have never looked back!!! It is a wonderful lathe and just keeps coming back for more!! I wish I had some of that sweet gum, it is absoulutly beautiful!!

Great job and keep on spinning!

Jeff

Reed Gray
02-09-2009, 12:19 PM
When friends and neighbors find out about what you are doing, you will soon have more wood than you know what to do with. Once you start looking, it is everywhere.
robo hippy

Dennis Ford
02-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Looking good there Tom! I think the large blank will take quite a while to dry but it will worth it. Did you wear a slicker suit? The wet sweet gum I have turned made a pretty good sized shower.

Wyatt Holm
02-09-2009, 2:42 PM
17" that's it? Just kidding, I have done several that size. I like it. I still want to make some in the 30"+ size but haven't got outboard set up yet. The largest I have done so far is 20". I thought that it would be difficult to lift and turn, but it wasn't that bad. I don't have much of a problem lifting the blanks onto the lathe. Maybe it is because I am younger then you or something.

Bernie Weishapl
02-09-2009, 11:22 PM
Thomas great looking bowl. Will be waiting to see it finished. I have turned a few that size and decided not to put so many chips on the floor. I bought a bowl saver and now can get 3 to sometimes 4 bowls out of a blank that big.

Thomas Canfield
02-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Great job Thomas.

I haven't done anything that large yet, how did you mount hat monster? I'm also interested in your work light, I've seen them in the catalogs and thought about getting one but can you tell me how you have it mounted on your lathe? I have a old mag base goose neck light mounted my 3520 bracket and it's driving me nuts, every time I try to adjust it, it pops off the bracket.

Cheers

Eric,

I cut a couple of wedge shape pieces to mount on the arms for the spindle gauge and then added the bench mount base. I can then use the Stay-Put Work Lamp at the headstock for samaller work, and attached to the tailstock bracket for larger or deeper turnings. There does not appear to be any vibration problems and bulb life fairly good. I will post some pictures in a separate post in the future.

Eric Magruder
02-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Thanks Thomas,

I hadn't thought about a second lamp on the tail stock and haven't come up with a good clamp setup for the guard bracket, the one's I've tried have popped off at the worst possible time so I'm gun shy. I don't want to drill into the PM until I'm sure of what I'm doing.

Our club has a PM with two lamps and a power outlet on a support bracket which works well but I'm told it's expensive, and I think I was told it's made by One-Way but can't find it online. If anyone knows please let me know.

Also, How are you stablizing bowls that large?

Cheers

Eric Magruder
02-12-2009, 4:19 PM
OK Tom now you've gone and done it - you made me go out to the wood pile. But I don't have anything as big as yours. :rolleyes: But things may change here, the wind is kicking up (gust up to 50 mph) so maybe an opportunity to find some big wood will present its self.;) Meanwhile, I'll make do.

Cheers

Bill Barou
02-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Eric, The light system in the photo from your club's PM is available from Oneway. It's not cheap but it seems to be worth the expense. It used to be made by Gary Sanders and Oneway markets it as such. They now offer a bracket to fit the PM.

Allen Neighbors
02-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Bill, is that the Moffett Light System you're talking about? Is that what Oneway's marketing?