PDA

View Full Version : Metal Preservation: Oil or T-9?

Michael Peet
02-08-2009, 9:19 PM
I have a small fortune in Starrett tools on the way, and I want to make sure I do what I can to keep them in good condition. Rather than use oil as a protectant, I was wondering if Boeshield T-9 would work without any ill effects. I just don't like oil all over my tools, hands, and work.

I will say that I've used the T-9 on my bandsaw table and like how it dries completely and yet stays kind of slippery.

I tried searching the forums, but "oil" and "t-9" are too short. Sorry if this has been covered already. :confused:

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Mike

Charles Lent
02-09-2009, 11:05 AM
All of the toolmakers that I've known kept their precision tools in a machinest toolchest and put a camphor block in with them. They left the plastic wrapping on the camphor block and just broke open the top side, then placed it inside the drawer with the tools, and they never had any corrosion or rusting.
A new camphor block every 6 mos to a year was all that was necessary. Drug stores would be the source for the camphor, but they may need to order it for you.

Charley

Myk Rian
02-09-2009, 11:10 AM
I take all the desiccant packets that come in different packages and toss them in the drawers. After a humid spell, I'll dry them out and put them back.
On some tools, I'll spread a thin coat of mineral oil on them.

Peter Kuhlman
02-09-2009, 11:30 AM
There is a product callet Humidisorb Plus X-Corrode that I use. It is made by A+ Corporation. I use them in various sizes in my tool boxes, drawers, tool cases. They release a corrosion control vapor and stabilize moisture so that it never reaches a dew point to condense on objects. They work by attracting and releasing moisture so that they never need to be recharged. These stopped all rust formation on my router bit shanks and fine tools here in 90% plus humidity Louisiana.
Pete

Jose Kilpatrick
02-09-2009, 11:34 AM
I've been using machine oil all these years. (Even on my shovel handles :eek: )

David Christopher
02-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Ive been useing Boeshield T-9 for 2 years and my stuff is still like new ( saw tops and precision tools ) I wouldnt use nothing else

Matt Woessner
02-09-2009, 12:08 PM
I agree with David I have used T9 and am happy with it.